DevFuse Forums

Garage System and its future development

JimD

Hi Michael,

Firstly, what a great surprise to see you've added this to your product list :D

All my forums are mainly based around this system as they're all car owners clubs, without a doubt a pleasure to see you've started working on it.

I was involved with the development of the Fusion Registry System (newer version of the base garage system), which last year was released on the GPL licence. The garage system as a base is excellent and we spent a great deal of time coming up with ideas of how it could be improved, below is a list of features:

1. Lightbox feature when viewing images

2. Improved Rating system using ajax, the current one is alittle poor.

3. A general overhaul using ajax etc.

4. Re-order custom fields as per the components sytem in ACP

4. Tabbing system to view different sections of garage (as per profile tabs) as per the following suggestion:

This would be a biggy...

Insurance Section: (outlining users insurance information)

Name of insurance Company

link to website

Premium cost

Rating

type of cover

additional info box

Parts Company: (outlining where user's parts were purchased from)

Name of company

rating

link to website

part

cost

additional info box

0-60 / Rolling Road / Dyno Time / 1/4 mile - Basically your timeslip system fully integrated

Condition ie weather

time

links to uses regisrty profile

ability to sort times (highest to lowest)

ability to upload graphs

Circuit Lap Times:

Location (track/circuit)

Condition ie weather

time

links to uses regisrty profile

ability to sort times (highest to lowest)

For Sale Module:

A additional section which will enable the user to inout various information and create a FOR SALE page...

Sale Price

Condition

Owners

Contact options

Reason for Sale

Ability for admin to create additional custom fields and drop down boxes etc

----

I'll add more when I remember/find what they were...

• Management

The first three ideas seem to focus on aesthetics and ajax integration and can will be included in future versions if not the next version.

But regarding the tabbing system, I would much rather make this a custom field type system. For example you go into the Admin CP, click manage tabs and add a new tab. From there you can add custom fields to that tab.

Setting up For Sale tab Example:

1. Open Manage Tabs and down the bottom add a new tab called For Sale.

2. Add a custom field to the tab For Sale and call it Sale Price, make it a text input field.

3. Add a custom field to the tab For Sale and call it Reason For Sale, make it a textbox field.

4. and so on...

This direction would make much more sense as it's going to be easier to write up a converter for the existing Fusion Registry modification.

Yes sorry thats ideally what I meant regarding hte tabs, meaning the system can be used as people wish, sounds great and this would be a real development for the system.

Jim

• Management

Well still have the Contact System and one custom modification to complete, so will most likely start work in the next few weeks on the Garage System, this will definitely include your tab and custom field idea. I'll clear everything and just work on that, still have a converter s

I can't wait for the upgrades! I just have a few simple requests...

Sort ability in the view vehicle screen, allow hi-light photo selection for each vehicle and addition of a mileage field (could be covered by custom fields)

Also, please do away with the required fields and allow the admin to select which fields are required and even which fields are displayed. My members don't like the price field for vehicles (price is ok in the modification fields,though!)

• Management
Excellent :)

Check out the PHPBB version, which although aesthetically is as appealing... it terms of function and features its bang on track:

http://forums.phpbbgarage.com/garage.php?s...a850c8412af6e7c

Regards

Jim

Thanks Jim, will take a look at that later today.

I can't wait for the upgrades! I just have a few simple requests...

Sort ability in the view vehicle screen, allow hi-light photo selection for each vehicle and addition of a mileage field (could be covered by custom fields)

Also, please do away with the required fields and allow the admin to select which fields are required and even which fields are displayed. My members don't like the price field for vehicles (price is ok in the modification fields,though!)

Haven't forgotten your edits, I'm expecting once I get the Contact System and a few small custom projects out of the way should be able to finish the Garage System v1.1. update I've been slowly developing.

• 1 month later...