Welcome to DevFuse Forums

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to DevFuse Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of DevFuse Forums by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

(View All Products)Featured Products

• Donations

Help fund your forum with donations, setup goals and track member donations. Offer rewards for members donating.
  • Timeslips

Have your members submit their race times and share with others.
  • Videos

Allows your members to submit their own videos for community viewing. Support is included for all the major video sites.
  • Forms

Build your own forms for your members without coding experience. Support included for pm, email and topics.
  • Collections

Build a community database of items for your members. Full features custom fields included.

Photo

[Development] Donation Tracker v2.0.0

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
54 replies to this topic

#21 Computer Candy

Computer Candy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • IP.Board Version:IPB 3.4.x

Posted 12 March 2008 - 12:16 AM

The progress bar graphic is technically not a graphic if I remember correctly, but drawn with javascript with a good degree of accuracy based on the percent achieved. ...Again, _if_ I remember correctly.

I love the idea of donation subscriptions.

#22 Michael

Michael

Management

• Management
  • 3,543 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 12:26 AM

@ thedevilman: Yeah not really a graphic but basically a simulated one using different code.
The horizontal bar is made using css and the color is basically 1 color.
The vertical thermometer is a php generated image written by http://www.arkie.net...ts/thermometer/

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, beginning work on v2 now and will post which features are included.

#23 javier

javier

Advanced Member

• Customers
  • 51 posts
  • IP.Board Version:N/A

Posted 12 March 2008 - 12:30 AM

Yes, I know it's not a graphic. What I'm suggesting is that we use a graphic to make it look better.

#24 cinek

cinek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 04:10 AM

how about chosing where the horizontal bar should show and where the thermometer should show? e.g. I can't have the horizontal bar on my portal because it's too wide, and it doesn't show :( so I use the thermometer instead, but thermometer is too high to put it on the index.php?act=idx page

it'd be good if I could have the thermometer on the portal and the horizontal bar on the idx page....

#25 Michael

Michael

Management

• Management
  • 3,543 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 01:01 AM

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Going through each suggestion to evaluate its viability. One big improvement on version 2 is the ability for users to donate to a particular goal, this ties in with the ability to be able to track the status of each goals donations as well. I plan on having a small percentage bar like the main one, but for each goal, so the status of each one can be tracked.

The problem is what is going to happen to excess amounts, once a goal reaches 100% we have a few options what do you with the excess money, please get back to me on what you think it should be?

1. Once a goal reaches 100% the excess amount is redistributed to next priority goals, until each goal is 100%, once this is the case, then if there is still money left over, then the rest goes to the original goal in which the user was donating too.

2. Once a goal reaches 100% the excess amount keeps on going to that goal.

#26 cinek

cinek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 04:06 AM

I'd go with:
1. Once a goal reaches 100% the excess amount is redistributed to next priority goals, until each goal is 100%, once this is the case, then if there is still money left over, then the rest goes to the original goal in which the user was donating too.

#27 Computer Candy

Computer Candy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 08:44 AM

Agreed, of the two I prefer #1 as well.

Or if like, there could possibly be an overflow pool, too, as a possible third option. So it _could_ be something like this...
"Once a goal reaches 100% the excess amount is redistributed to next priority goals, until each goal is 100%, once this is the case, then if there is still money left over, then the rest goes to..." an overflow pool that can either be distributed to future goals -or- kept as is an left in the overflow pool.

...just another idea. ;)

A quick question about option #2. So if someone uses quick donate or chooses no specific goal, does their donation just get distributed to the top priority goal automatically?

#28 Michael

Michael

Management

• Management
  • 3,543 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 06:34 PM

Agreed, of the two I prefer #1 as well.

Or if like, there could possibly be an overflow pool, too, as a possible third option. So it _could_ be something like this...
"Once a goal reaches 100% the excess amount is redistributed to next priority goals, until each goal is 100%, once this is the case, then if there is still money left over, then the rest goes to..." an overflow pool that can either be distributed to future goals -or- kept as is an left in the overflow pool.

...just another idea. ;)

A quick question about option #2. So if someone uses quick donate or chooses no specific goal, does their donation just get distributed to the top priority goal automatically?

Both quick donate and the main page would require a user to select a goal.

#29 Computer Candy

Computer Candy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 09:52 PM

Gotcha, thanks for the clarification. #1 looks great. ;)

P.S. When i wrote, "A quick question about option #2...", I actually meant #1, oops. But you still got my meaning. Thanks again for all your hard work. :)

#30 cinek

cinek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 05:02 AM

any updates on the progress? which features will be included?

#31 Michael

Michael

Management

• Management
  • 3,543 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 06:26 PM

any updates on the progress? which features will be included?

Several more days yet, you can view a rough todo list I use (excuse the spelling and grammar, this is my rough copy). Not all features can be added this version, but I'm interested in these ideas and will try to add them throughout the next version(s).

#32 peaderfi

peaderfi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 05:53 PM

wow all of these features sound amazing!

#33 HAMBONE0

HAMBONE0

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 03:56 PM

Nice I cannot wait, the option for where does the extra go I would agree with #1.

Also to tag along with the idea of better graphics meter!! Maybe once the meter or thermometer reaches 100% it explodes at the top and doesnt really display a level over 100% but the text continues to show what % is over??

#34 Michael

Michael

Management

• Management
  • 3,543 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 05:19 PM

@HAMBONE0: Thanks for your opinion, I've decided to make that option a setting, I've greatly improved the goal area of the tracker and now that's possible. I don't know if I can have an exploding graphic, but I do like your suggestion about the text not stopping at 100% and will look into changing that.

@Everyone Else: I've done a majority of the goal suggestions, including an option to mark goals that are 100% as automatically done and an option to have never ending goals. I'm finishing of the auto group demote function and will release a beta copy end of this week/early next week.

#35 civ

civ

• Customers
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 07:41 AM

Hi there Michael. We plan to purchase this module once you release your next version, but we plan to use it for a "group buy" purpose. Any features that you can think of that might assist with that sort of application for this module would be appreciated. :)

#36 Michael

Michael

Management

• Management
  • 3,543 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 01:13 PM

Hi there Michael. We plan to purchase this module once you release your next version, but we plan to use it for a "group buy" purpose. Any features that you can think of that might assist with that sort of application for this module would be appreciated. :)

Could you expand on what you mean by "group buy"?

#37 civ

civ

• Customers
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 01:27 PM

A lot of automotive forums do this regularly, and tech-related forums as well. A manufacturer agrees to provide X numbers of Product X at a discounted rate if enough people are willing to go in together and buy it. For example, they agree to sell a new Xeon headlight package for 40% off if the forum can come up with 50 people to purchase it. The money is generally held in escrow by the forum owner until the group buy has met its goal of 50 purchasers, at which point the money is sent to the manufacturer and the product is mailed to the purchasers. This 'group buy' model is done in lots of different niches, mainly automotive forums, but our niche is game software addons and we will be using it for that purpose (Publisher X agrees to sell 50 copies of a game addon at a reduced rate for our forums members).

This mod should do pretty much everything we need with just a language file edit, but if you were familiar with the concept of a 'group buy' and could add in some cool additional features to support it you would make us happy and probably sell some additional copies yourself. :) One feature that might be nice is a way to let buyers (or contributors in the current version) input some info when they buy/contribute (things like their mailing address in the case of a group buy of a physical product). Another nice option would be an export feature where the forum owner could export a list of all buyers in a certain group buy sale in csv format (along with their name/username/email/address/etc) to give to the manufacturer of the product being bought.

Does that make any sense? If not I'll try again. :)

#38 Michael

Michael

Management

• Management
  • 3,543 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 09:17 PM

A lot of automotive forums do this regularly, and tech-related forums as well. A manufacturer agrees to provide X numbers of Product X at a discounted rate if enough people are willing to go in together and buy it. For example, they agree to sell a new Xeon headlight package for 40% off if the forum can come up with 50 people to purchase it. The money is generally held in escrow by the forum owner until the group buy has met its goal of 50 purchasers, at which point the money is sent to the manufacturer and the product is mailed to the purchasers. This 'group buy' model is done in lots of different niches, mainly automotive forums, but our niche is game software addons and we will be using it for that purpose (Publisher X agrees to sell 50 copies of a game addon at a reduced rate for our forums members).

This mod should do pretty much everything we need with just a language file edit, but if you were familiar with the concept of a 'group buy' and could add in some cool additional features to support it you would make us happy and probably sell some additional copies yourself. :) One feature that might be nice is a way to let buyers (or contributors in the current version) input some info when they buy/contribute (things like their mailing address in the case of a group buy of a physical product). Another nice option would be an export feature where the forum owner could export a list of all buyers in a certain group buy sale in csv format (along with their name/username/email/address/etc) to give to the manufacturer of the product being bought.

Does that make any sense? If not I'll try again. :)

Thanks for the explanation, although it does sound interesting, I'm afraid I won't be heading the Tracker in that direction. This would be a good idea as a separate modification, but including it in the Tracker would be alien to the direction I want to go into. That being focusing on donations.

#39 civ

civ

• Customers
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 12:13 AM

Ok I understand. We'll get our copy when you release the next stable version and play around with it to suit our needs.

#40 Michael

Michael

Management

• Management
  • 3,543 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 03:02 AM

One of the new feature of v2.0.0 will be an improved status bar. Including different background color for different percentages. You can view an example here:

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users