DevFuse Forums

Garage System question/suggestion

khalwat

The Garage System looks really cool, except for one thing: it is specifically intended for cars.

I can think of a number of uses for people who are interested in collecting numerous things other than cars that I believe it could be used for if it were possible simply to change the verbiage. Is there a place in Garage System where "Vehicles" can be changed to something else?

Let's say a special interest group was books.. or wine... or cigars... or scotches... or anything that people might want to collect and inventory.

The custom fields seem flexible enough that it could work for just about any application, it's only the verbiage that prevents it.

Is there a way to customize it short of editing the source code? I'd rather avoid that simply because it makes upgrading an incredible hassle.

• Management

It's something I'll be looking into. It's something that has been requested a bit. With custom fields already in, it's not too far off from a registry type mod. I would like to get the garage system updated before I start anything and would also like to get feedback from current existing garage owners before I make any changes.

It's something I'll be looking into. It's something that has been requested a bit. With custom fields already in, it's not too far off from a registry type mod. I would like to get the garage system updated before I start anything and would also like to get feedback from current existing garage owners before I make any changes.

Cool. If you generalized it in that manner, you could still keep the specific functionality by shipping it with starter "templates" -- and the "Vehicles" template would be exactly what you have now for the Garage System.

During the setup process, the user can choose from one of your prefab templates, or they can make their own (and of course, they can be customized as per your custom fields implementation). Really the templates would control the verbiage used in the system, and some default custom fields.

Edited by khalwat

• 1 month later...

I would like to use it for Boats. Even going as far from changing the title from "Garage System" to something like "Boat Dock"... as "Garage System" wouldn't be as appropriate for the boating crowd. Will I be able to change the fields and languages to do so?

Thanks

• Management

I would like to use it for Boats. Even going as far from changing the title from "Garage System" to something like "Boat Dock"... as "Garage System" wouldn't be as appropriate for the boating crowd. Will I be able to change the fields and languages to do so?

Thanks

All public bits of text are covered in the langauge files, so it's just a matter of renaming instances of garage, vehicle etc... But stuff like app=garage are not easily changed and would require several different files to be changed as well. You would need to do this for when upgrades come along as well. Large modifications to the garage like this are not supported officially as I can't provide bug fixes/support for heavily customized work.

Plus.... what about running two instances of this? One for fish that were caught, displaying photos, techniques etc.

Bragging board if you will.

Or could this be added as a category with the Boat Dock?

If on the same board, as above you'd need to modify the code a fair bit to ensure no applications have the same unique app name of 'garage' or there would be issues with multiple versions of the same application.

• 4 weeks later...