DevFuse Forums

Garage / Collection Questions

dinky

Nice work on these modifications which are actually similar. I do have a couple of questions:

1) I don't see any search fields. Can the data you collect in this database be searched? If so, how? Is there any ability to search by field, e.g. by car manufacturer and by year made?

2) Are there dropdown entry fields? All I saw was text-based input. So if I wanted to limit the entries to 10 items in a dropdown, I didn't see how this could be done.

3) Is there a demo site? Very difficult to get a feel for this with pictures.

4) What kind of code hacking is required, if any? I'd prefer to leave my core files alone as much as possible.

• Management

1. Not by custom fields in either of the applications. This has been suggested several times and is a high priority but can't give ETA's on when it will be added yet. You do have search for make/model or in the case of collections the item name field.

2. As a custom field? Then yes. But in regards to the item name field, this is restricted to a text input field.

3. I don't have one setup but I can, did you want to take a look at the Garage or Collections app? Or both?

4. Well custom fields were added so you don't have to edit so much. Even more so in the Collections app which only has 1 fixed field the item name field. Everything else is handled through custom fields. It really depends on what you want to change?

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I'm using the Garage System at the moment and the license is expired a few months ago. I was searching for a phone book application (not phone book of forum members, but of external entities) and I think that the collection system can provide this function. My questions are:

1. Is it possible to have more that one database/collection in a single installation? If I buy the collection system for the phone book can I use it for the Garage also? I have ideas for even some more collections so it will be a good choice for me if I can have many different collections.

2. What are the difference between the Garage and the Collection? If the Garage is beeing migrated to a collection what I will loose?

3. Is it possible to have access to a demo of the Collection System please?

Best regards

• Management

1. The Collections System really only maintains 1 database. But if you've noticed the latest version, it does include category and subcategory support. So could you use that to maintain multiple collections? If not, let me know more how you wanted to set it up. And will save your suggestion for future versions.

2. Garage has Makes & Models database, as you already have the Garage you'll be familiar with that. The Collections has Category support instead. The Collection also has vehicle specific fields like car price, color and vehicle description removed with only one fixed field for the item name.

3. Sure, I'll setup a demo account and send it to you. Is email or PM fine?

Thanks, I'm managing an Automotive Club so I think that we will just keep the Garage and will update it as soon as we update the entire forum.

But I will like to have a look at the Collection System. You can e-mail it or PM - doesn`t matter.

Thanks,

Best Regards.

@2 - you mean that I can still use custom fields (i.e. drop down list) but it is not possible to edit the content of one list based on the selection in another list (i.e. the list of models based on the selected make) etc. Generally this will not be a problem ;)

On the other hand, if you remember I have asked a time ago if it will be possible to add a Service Log-Book integrated to a garage. I mean a database with information wneh you change engine and transmission oil, what oil do you use, when you change the coolant liquid, brakes liquid, brakes pads and rotors, hoses, belts, etc. Even a fuel log-book like spritmonitor.de which calculates the average fuel consumption of the vehicle compared to different conditions - season, tyre type, location, fuel type, fuel brand and even other vehicles of the same model etc.

I'm a webdeveloper also, so I can extend the source code myself to make it work as I need... I will think about the collection system some more time.

Edited by Babailiica

• Management

2. Yes makes and models are linked, so you could add a Toyota make and then add any models associated with that make. This is still the same as before. But the Collections System doesn't have this linked ability yet.

I've sent you a PM with login details. The Garage has been updated since we last talked but a log book/service ability hasn't been added yet.