DevFuse Forums

Introducing Form Manager

Michael

• Management

I am pleased to introduce my latest application, the Form Manager. The idea for a form manager first came about during the early days of development for Contact System. With each update to the Contact System came the ability to setup different alerts per subject and eventually the ability to add custom fields. The Form Manager is the next step in this development.

View Form Manager product page here.

View the Form Manager on these forums with demo forms here.

Report any bugs you find here.

What is the Form Manager?

The Form Manager is a new application that has been completely rewritten but the idea and features are based on the Contact System. Instead of just the 1 contact form that was present with the Contact System, with the ability to add subjects and custom fields. The Form Manager allows you to setup multiple forms, with each form still allowing email, pm and topic alerts. And the ability to add custom fields to that form.

Why make a Form Manager?

Since starting the Contact System in 2005 more and more interest has occurred around using the Contact System for different type of forms. Subsequent updates have allowed the Contact System to be more then a simple feedback form. But to meet the demand of multiple forms, I decide the best way would be a complete re-write of everything was needed in a new application. And a converter tool that would convert the Contact System data to the Form Manager. This allows the transition from the Contact System to Form Manager to be done more slowly and not forced upon customers with an update.

What about the Contact System?

All Contact System customers will automatically be upgraded to the Form Manager for free. But to fulfill my obligations to those who purchased before today, the Contact System will still be offered as an extra to the Form Manager in the client centre. I will still offer support, issue bug fixes and updates for new versions of IPB. Updates will continue like normal.

As it's been in development for the last several years, I am very much aware a lot of long term customers are still using it. For this reason I will not have a fixed date on when the Contact System will become EOL (End of life). Obviously I won't be supporting both indefinitely but the transition will be slow and allow time for everyone.

What are the differences with the Contact System?

You can view the products page of the Form Manager to view the differences between the latest version of the Contact System and Form Manager. There are a few minor changes due to technical and coding reasons. But subsequent updates to the Form Manager will close that gap. The Form Manager does however have several new features that are not present in the Contact System. There has also been a price increase for the Form Manager. This is in part due to the major increase in features and ability of the Form Manager and also reflects that the Contact System price hasn't changed for some years now.

What about the IPS Marketplace?

This is my biggest modification launch yet, so I will be staging the release to allow time for the expected support load increase. My ETA when the Form Manager will be available in the marketplace would be a few weeks.

Future of Form Manager

Over the next few months, the Form Manger will have a majority of my development time. I expect a bug fixing update very soon after this initial release. With new features already planned soon after. I've got a lot of feedback for this change and I'm hopeful most will support it. But for those who have concerns, please either reply here or PM with your concerns.

Nice work. I just purchase the contact system on yesterday, but the Form system is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for your time and hard work you put into this. I look forward to adding it to my board, and of course, glad to hear, I can get it complimentry because I already purchased the contact system.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Management

Will this upgrade the contact system or will it sit alongside it?

How do the multiple forms appear? Are they all held in a /forms/ section or can you add them to ipContent pages?

Both can run at the same time. But in the Form Manager will be a converter tool that allows a transfer of contact data to form manager data. This is non destructive and the contact form data won't be affected.

From a form url, you can set a form as the default form e.g. http://www.devfuse.com/forums/forms/ I set my contact form as default rather then a list of the form. You can access forms through their own urls as well - http://www.devfuse.com/forums/form/form/5-demo-form/ No integration exists with IP.Content yet.

• 1 month later...

Hey Michael,

you mentioned that the current Contact System customers get automatic upgrade to Form Manager. But there is no Form Manager download in my Client Section. By the way, is it possible to enable the purchase in the IP Marketplace, so i can download and update it there?

http://community.invisionpower.com/files/file/4129-m33-form-manager/

• Management

When your on the downloads page, do you see a link to download for the Form Manager? All Contact System purchases should see the Form Manager download now.

Sure, you originally purchased through here right? So just need me to add the purchase manually for you?

• Management

For me it was just the "contact system" that I downloaded but it was actually the form manager. Is that a bug that I should have mentioned? Should I see BOTH the contact system and the form manager?

I've updated the previous invoices with the new name. Please let me know if it's fixed now.

When your on the downloads page, do you see a link to download for the Form Manager? All Contact System purchases should see the Form Manager download now.

Sure, you originally purchased through here right? So just need me to add the purchase manually for you?

1. yes there is one, to keep it in a german saying: i had tomatoes on my eyes ;)

2. yes youre right, i purchased all 3 apps (garage/contact system and calendar topics) here on this platform with lifetime license. would be great if they are also accessable in IPS marketplace.

• Management

2. yes youre right, i purchased all 3 apps (garage/contact system and calendar topics) here on this platform with lifetime license. would be great if they are also accessable in IPS marketplace.

I'm not sure that's even possible with the IPS Marketplace yet. An expiration date seems to be required.