DevFuse Forums

IPB 3.1 Donation Tracker v3

Michael

• Management

This is the development discussion topic for the IPB3.1 Donation Tracker v3. This will be a large sized upgrade with the focus on several of the most requested features and improvements in design and code so it's more intuitive. Another focus will be more exposure for the donation tracker in other parts of your forums other then the donation tracker page itself. Some of the code and design is still IPB2.3 legacy, so this upgrade will bring the donation tracker inline with IPB3's new standards.

The Donation Tracker has already received quite a lot of feature suggestions so the feature list for v3.0 is pretty big already but if you want to reiterate an already suggested idea or post support for a suggested idea please reply below. v3 will be developed with IPB3.1 in mind but backwards compatibility with most of the features will be possible for IPB3.0.

I will add ones that i've discussed with you already and a few others.

1) More options on what to display, and where to display it with regards to the total donations received/needed etc. It seems lots of mods add into the sidebar, and it can get cluttered and messy, So possibly having a choice to display it under the navbar / above the forums would be a nice choice.

2) Awards mod integration. Not sure how difficult this would be, on our forums when someone donates, i manually give them an award which says they have donated.

3) Send the user a prewritten PM thanking them, when a donation has been marked as 'confirmed' by the admin.

4) Tiny thing, Have the 'Donate' button on the navbar, show up in a different colour just to make it stand out a little bit.

Otherwise this app is perfect as it is, and is very well created, There's just a few tiny tweaks that would help, but are not important :)

• 2 weeks later...

The main thing I have always wanted to see with this mod is when a member donates lets say $5 a section opens up that gives them the option to add an icon next to their names (I use stars) so example is they donate $5 and get a gray star, they go into the settings and have a full list of stars listed based on how much they donated and they see a blue start that cost $25 to get so they donate $20 more and get that star.

Features:

Icons awarded based on donations

Icons displayed in topic, index page, and profile

More customizable donation hook (options to add or remove things shown

Top x donation list that shows icons with the names

Icons and points both awarded option per donation

Edited by BrandonT

• 2 weeks later...
  • Management

Thanks for the suggestions so far, all have been noted and will be researched more closely.

More feedback on subscriptions needed

One of the bigger new planned features is subscription support. I appreciate any more suggestions people have in regards to this. There are currently a few different ways to add this. 1) Use Paypal's subscription features. 2) Integration with IP.Subscriptions mod. 3) It's own subscription functions.

I'm leaning towards 3, mainly because it doesn't rely on 3rd party resources and will be compatible with future payment classes. It could notify a member when subscription renewal is up, so they could donate again. Any ideas or suggestions welcome.

It wolud be nice to have alternative payment gateways in addition to PayPal. As you can know, PayPal does not allow to accept payments in some countries (like Russian Federation). So, I've bought nice application a few months ago, discovered this fact and have never used it.

In Russian Federation we have a lot of alternative online payment services, such as WebMoney, Я.Деньги & others, аnd a lot of payment gateways to deal with all of them. In most cases all communication with this gateways works close to PayPal: we have payment url, success url, deny url, and s2s transaction request.

So, some kind of plugin system (base payment class and configurable extenders for it) with page in ACP to enable/disable and organize them will be enough to make Donation Tracker really universal system. I can provide plugins for all popular Russian payment gateways, so some other people will add their favorite systems and that'll be really good for all of us :)

Guess this is a good time to post my old information about this subject.

Old post about subscriptions

As for subscriptions, if it only reminds someone to donate, then its not really much of a subscription.

I'd say both. Use 1 or 3 depending on needs.

For system 1, It would be easy because you would just have paypal build the subscriptions and you would copy/paste the code in the subscription area for the different values.

For system 3, I would have a subscription base much like paypal's but its a subscription they can enter in the amount and have it auto-deduct much like paypals. Paypal you need to choose the amount in advanced.

Edited by xcalibur

My only wish all along was the subscription support. A majority of our members initiate a subscription from our Donation Tracker via a custom button and their money automatically hits paypal each month....but i have to manually register their donation each month.

Michael,

First off thank you for this amazing mod and the outstanding support.

Now as for V3, one thing that has always gotten me in a rut is the total donations. I think if you could specify what the budget is being allocated toward would be great. I always end up putting my costs in the description:

$XX - website 7/12

$XX - server 7/16

$XX - file server 7/16

... etc

I would like to see some fields where u can add what's going where and possibly when its due. I have bills due over the month at different days and its good to have a montly total but we get people who wait till the end of the month to finally donate after the bill is due....

...to be continued, I'm posting from my droid so ill finish when I get home

Few suggestions:

-- Side Bar Hook Suggestion:

1. Side boor hook where user can enter there $$ for donation rather then choosing from drop down.

2. Option to choose One time, Weekly, Monthly, Quarterly and Yearly donation from the drop down in side bar hook with one time being default.

3. Support for different payment gateways.

4. User can select currently from drop down with $$ being default.

5. A little text field: Note: where user can enter his little note while donating.

Little ACP option if you can add:

1. Manually add transaction. (It helps to convert user from IP.Subscription, Joomla, Wordpress, etc)

*All above options are in Joomla free mod* I am really waiting for above options :)

-- IP.Content Hook:

If possible.

--User CP

1. Somewhere option in user CP where it shows how much they have donated and when.

-- User Groups:

1. Let's say 20$ - VIP member for 6 months and 30$ for 1 year. Then user can donate 15$ and then again 15$ and once he reaches 30$, he can get 1 year membership. So, basically it keeps track of user amount based on paypal ID.

Thank you!

Edited by hellreturn

Michael firstly I would like to thank you for such a great mod and for the outstanding service you have given me over the last 2 years.

Reading all these posts in this thread, I am worried that the Donation Mod will soon become bloat ware.

1) Do we really need subscriptions, I mean subscriptions are not donations, and I for one would never use it, as I don't have that type of board, there are already mods out there to do that.

2) All we want is a nice simple mod to make a donation with out all the added bits mate. I don't want all the different sectors, I would just like Amount needed XXXX Amount donated XXXX plus graph promote to donator from member, ceasing every twelve months, it's all there already, I would just like a way to turn everything else off, that's it, I am sure you remember how confused I got last year with the donations and the year before.

3) I think the mod is perfect as it is, except for maybe more options in the ACP to turn things off that I wont use.

Thanks again mate for all you do. :thumbsup: :)

Gerry

Thanks for seeking feedback on improvements.

One item that our community would *greatly* value is the capacity to run multiple funding drives at the same time WITHOUT the total amount being amalgamated in the sidebar graph, i.e. it should be possible to display a graphic for selected funding drives only.

Many thanks for considering this suggestion.

I love the Donation Tracker. What a great program. There are a couple of things I would like to see in the next version if possible. I would like to see the Donation Details easier to find and I if someone does not have a PayPal account and would rather send a check make it easier for them to find the address to send the check to. Other than that this is a really great program.

More payment gateways

Paypal

Alertpay

Google checkout.

Ability to promote people based of different donation amounts.

Example:

User who donates 5$ gets promoted to member+

User who donates 15$ gets promoted to member+++

User who donates 25$ gets promoted to ELITE MEMBER.

Ability for a user to see how much they have donate. A whole page contributed to this.

Title: Your donation statistics

You have donated ## to "site name" contributing ##% to total donations.

You need to donate ## to be promoted to "User-group"

Out of "Total Number of Site Members" you are ranked "#" in site donations.

Donation Award System

For each milestone reached you receive a unique reward image.

After donation 20$ you receive a unique award image

After donation 40$ you receive a unique award image.

etc.

• Management

Reading all these posts in this thread, I am worried that the Donation Mod will soon become bloat ware.

I'll reply to the other suggestions later but just to address this concern, the 2 major planned features (subscriptions & points/awards based on donations) are the only major introductions of features. The rest will be a lot of optimizing of the code and design. I will also be looking at removing/optimizing some features, I'll be posting these later on.

I've updated the first post with some of the planned features. Regarding the start date on development, I'm sorry to say I've had to push this back to the 1st of August. I need to push this back mainly for personal reasons.

Hi There

Great add on - however I have a fickle cosmetic question...

The side bar Donate works well and takes me through all relevant screens and options - however, clicking on "Donate" in the tab menu returns me to the index - the only way I can get into the donations screen is via the sidebar.

Any ideas ?

• Management

So no Secondary Group support?

Planned Features: (Not finalized or guaranteed additions.)

Haven't added to the list yet but will be included.

Hi There

Great add on - however I have a fickle cosmetic question...

The side bar Donate works well and takes me through all relevant screens and options - however, clicking on "Donate" in the tab menu returns me to the index - the only way I can get into the donations screen is via the sidebar.

Any ideas ?

Could be many things, would recommend opening a support ticket.

• Management

Thank you so much! I hope the tone of my post didn't come off as rude. Hard to know with text. I always appreciate everything you do!

No not all :) , I understand this feature is important to you.

I've always wanted the option to customize the donation block in the sidebar. I think it would be beneficial if you had the option (in the ACP) to remove certain areas of it (ex. Top Donors, the donation's meter...). I find the default one right now is really lengthy, specially when you have many other blocks to accompany it. The choice to have a default sidebar block for donations would be nice.

• 2 weeks later...

Ya I would love to have a different sidebar block also. I would like to have a simple one that looks like the free version. Originally I didn't know that there was a free version of the Donation tracker. I always liked it because it blended to the themes better. It's not till after I purchased the full version did I realize that there was a free sidebar hook or I would had went with that one because of the simplicity. It would be nice to have the options to customize it and have it blend like the free version to match the skins.