DevFuse Forums

Encoding Modifications

Michael

• Management

There has been discussions lately in the IPB world about encoding of modifications. I wanted to get some feedback from DevFuse members specifically about encoding of mods and if they support it at all. Currently I don't encode any modifications. Please note I currently have no plans to introduce encoding at all, I just wanted to get some feedback on the subject.

I think it's a bad idea. I have miniTutotials mod installed and found an error in the search results function so I found the file and edited the right entry to fix it. If I hadn't been able to do this, I'd have to post a thread about it, wait for the author and waste time, both author's and mine fixing it. It kinda reminds me on bad console ports, those games usually die pretty quickly as they're not moddable in any way..(kinda rough comparison but I hope you catch my drift).

Hi Michael I am dead against encoding as you know I run a Military website, I am not allowed to run any encoded scripts on my board no matter what the script, therefore it would stop me using mods to make my board better. On a personal note I would not pay for any encoded mods, you I trust, many I don't as they could easily slide in malicious code. There was a blog on IPS where 92% of the posts were vehemently against encoding, and they still will not listen to their customers. I pray that you will not go that way mate.

looking at purchasing another of your fine mods in future

plan is to tailor it to suit own needs after new release

if fully encoded and that's no longer an option then won't be likely to purchase

• 2 weeks later...
  • Management
I pray that you will not go that way mate.

Nothing has been decide, just wanting to get some feedback. It seems majority opinion is against encoding, so I do want to respect that. Having modified IPB's source code for years now, I can see how encoding would restrictive to customers. If IPB was encoded itself, there might not of been any mods for me to create.

Ok , I disagree with everyone . I own a license for phprobid which , as it should be is only allowed to be used on one domain . It is encoded with Ioncube and I have had no problems ever with it . And why would you buy something from a vendor you don't trust ?? I'm sure you do your homework before buying scripts . Do a search for ipb warez mods/skins in google etc . You'll see why the makers are up in arms about this as you can get almost any mod available for free .

If the modders don't start protecting their work and people keep blatantly stealing it , I can see these guys moving on to something else

And with out these guys our boards would not be customisable unless the owners want to spend a shit load of time learning the code themselves .

Personally , I don't have any prob with it as I know if Michael went this way he would give the buyer all the support they needed . As his terms say , he'll install it for free once , So you know everything will work . And have you done any research on ioncube/zen gerry ? Just curious , not meaning to sound offensive or nothing , but maybe they have a workaround for a situation like yours . I don't know as I havent looked , But I have about 8 mods/addons made for ioncube and zen (3 for ipb) and as I said , They work exactly the same and it only takes the time it takes to upload ioncube or zen on your server . Thats it . And you only have to do it once .

I'd like to hear the reasons behind why so many users are against it ? The only thing I can see it doing is stopping the mod being used on more the one domain ( for example )

Oh , and on a note , you can modify the encoded versions i have , You just can't use them at more than one URL .

Think people need to understand the way things work a bit better about the whole encoding thing

You can encode the mods to NOT be editable OR URL specific etc etc . There are lots of alternatives

Just puts a stop to these guys losing earnings from thieves .

Please someone tell me im wrong , As I said , The ones I have work fine , no probs , Editable , but can only be used on 1 domain ( More licenses I buy I just register them with the vendor and they fix up my Key etc )

Suppose its like M$croShaft ........ lol