DevFuse Forums

is there a tutorial on installing IPB3 on local WinXP machine?

Breadfan

I know there's one at IPB site but it's for Windows Vista and it was beta IPB3.

I don't know if there's much difference with XP and what's the exact procedure?

I never hosted anything on my local PC so any info would be apreaciated.

Thx.

Edited by Breadfan

• Management

The easiest way would be to install what's called a "WAMP" package, which stands for Windows, Apache, MySQL and PHP. This basically installs and configures what's need to run a website on your machine. Here is a list of popular WAMP packages. I myself use EasyPHP, it's a lot easier testing new mods rather than uploading to ftp all the time.

One thing to make sure if this is not a public server but for your own personal use is that you follow any of the security documentation to lock down the program, so no one from the internet can access your localhost.

Yes, in the meantime I did install WAMP but I noticed my IPB has some issues with cookies or whatever.

Sometimes it takes more then one try to say, sign up (sometimes it just kicks you back to the index page) and some links are hard to access (in AdminCP saving template bits etc).

Other then that, it's a pretty useful application.

Ok. I just realized something: on localhost, browsing the forum is just fine, no lag issues but the moment I login to AdminCP, there I do encounter fairly often "Waiting for localhost.." long loading periods. I usually fix it by fast doubleclicking but it can get anoying especially when editing skin templates or installing hooks or modules.

My guess is, it may have to do something with admin sessions & security settings. I tried disabling firewall but it's pretty much the same.

Any ideas?

• 4 weeks later...

Remember my previous post in which I said it -seemed- to have worked? Well, it hadn't.

Up untill yesterday, I always had "Waiting for localhost" in Admin CP and no matter what I did, it stayed like that forever (the same link would open quickly, but click it again, it would lag indefinetelly).Untill I finally decided to switch from WAMP 2.0 to WAMP 1.7 and guess what? Admin CP loads perfectly, goes smooth as baby but!

So..if anyone else is experiencing simmilar problems with 2.0, try switching to older version.

I did some googling and lots of people noticed older version runs better for them.

Edited by Breadfan