DevFuse Forums

Netbook Suggestions?

Michael

• Management

I'm looking at getting a netbook, I have a smart phone I use at the end of the day for casual browsing, checking the forums out just before I go to bed. But there is only so much you can do on a small 2.5" screen. And the inbuilt browser is rubbish. Any suggestions?

• Management

what kinda specs are you looking for in your netbook? the dell mini's are nice (I love my MSI Wind)

Speed and battery life are most important for me, so anything with 2GB of ram and 5hrs+ of battery life. Bluetooth and WIFI as well but I assume there standard on every netbook. You have the U100 model?

yeapers the u100, comes with a 3 cell battery that only lasts about 2-3 hrs but you can get a 6 cell that lasts 5-6 hrs for about $40-50 USD, 1GB Ram stock but only $12-20 USD for another GB (but opening the case to put it in voids the 1 yr warranty), it doesn't have bluetooth but I don't use bluetooth so I didn't go with one that cost more to have it ;)for under $300 USD it was the one I wanted plus I've had good luck with my 3 MSI motherboards so I was willing to give their netbook a go :D

• Management

yeapers the u100, comes with a 3 cell battery that only lasts about 2-3 hrs but you can get a 6 cell that lasts 5-6 hrs for about $40-50 USD, 1GB Ram stock but only $12-20 USD for another GB (but opening the case to put it in voids the 1 yr warranty), it doesn't have bluetooth but I don't use bluetooth so I didn't go with one that cost more to have it ;)for under $300 USD it was the one I wanted plus I've had good luck with my 3 MSI motherboards so I was willing to give their netbook a go :D

Yeah MSI has been good to be me. I've added MSI Wind to the short list. Costs a bit more here though, $550 AUD is the cheapest I could find.

The Dell seems to be a bit low on memory, but it has one of the best battery capacities according to some of those online reviews!

Yeah Dell Australia seems to only have 1GB worth of ram, might not be that much of a difference between 1 or 2 GB in netbooks.

I would either go for this one or a dell Mini. I ordered a Dell mini for my mum in July 22nd, but never got it till the 28th of august.

So Just be carfull with dell.

(Plus I can get you $6.00 off the laptop its self via Scorptech.) :)

Edited by Lindsey

• Management

I would either go for this one or a dell Mini. I ordered a Dell mini for my mum in July 22nd, but never got it till the 28th of august.

So Just be carfull with dell.

(Plus I can get you $6.00 off the laptop its self via Scorptech.) :)

Ouch, out of stock or just the distance? Only ordered once off Dell, but they were fast. Ordered a monitor the Sunday before fathers day and it came 2 days later on Tuesday.

whatever netbook you decide to get MJ here's a way to get it much cheaper than buying it there in AUS http://www.priceusa.com.au/ since online shops like tigerdirect and newegg (which usually have the best prices) both don't ship to AUS

Thanks for the suggestion, will check that site out.