DevFuse Forums

Videos System v2 IPB3

Michael

• Management

As the topic title suggests, this is the discussion topic for the next version of the Videos System. Please submit your feature suggestions below. No final feature list has been decided upon yet, although subcategories and more per category focused features will be key ideas. I'll be updating this post with planned features when it's ready.

Please keep in mind not every suggestion can be added. Suggestions will be weighed on whether it's beneficial to the Videos System or not and how many people will benefit from it. I don't want to spend an unproportional amount of time on a suggestion that only 1 person will use. If someone suggests a feature you would like to see, please speak up. So I know what you guys want.

Finished Feature List

• Sub categories
  • Support for profile page
  • Per category permissions.
  • Ajax rating function.
  • Per category filter/sort options and results per page.

• Management

Should be able to add that easily Lindsey. Here is a rough copy of ideas submitted over time. (Ignore the spelling mistakes and double submissions.) If you guys see any particular feature, mention it so I know what features you guys want.

* subscribe to categories, when new video is posted in that cat, receive email.

* sub categories.

* setting for manually approve new topics, make sure its set to 0 by default

* let admin change how many times a member can comment in a video.

1) sub-catrgories (as already suggested)

1) limit individual permissions on specific categories.

2) Able to add tags to posted Video clip.

3) Simular/related videos below video view of posted embeded video.

4) reply to a comment, that places a quote within the reply.

5) Instead of front page just listing catergories, have a sort of portal page with a random posted video, most recent posted videos.

6) better rate system to replace the top right one.

i.e.maybe below the video.

7) for seperate topic created for posting, the link to the video have it open on same window/page instead of opening a new one.

8) Option in ACP to have share video options permently open instead of an hide/open.

9) Online list on module that current members viewing video system. and maybe which video viewing like last click on the IPB index page.

/////////

1. Sub-Category support

2. Setting on now many video listings to show. So that you only have a listing of say 20 then you can go to next page. With current system it can get to be a very long list on one page.

3. Sorting options - option to sort by name, Date, submitter, etc.

4. How many videos have comments and/or rated added into the stats area so members can see how many comments others have made and how many videos have been rated.

5. Video Rating shown on the video listing page and even make it so you can sort by video rating as stated above.

//////

try to make it so they only have to enter in youtube url or popular video hosting urls if they want, then we generate the embed code for them.

http://www.devfuse.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1910

10. Guests can't view view new posts function

* add to profile page. IPB 3

* if a member changes their Display Name, this is not reflected by VS.

* the ability to choose the number of latest videos in the RSS feed would be cool. The other is to have the video embed code included in the feed. The reason for this is that we'd like to parse the feed internally, strip out the embed code and insert it into another page of the site so that when new videos are added to the forums, they also appear in our videos page.

* edit topic instead of deleting and creating a new one.

Is there a version vor 2.3.6?

• Management

I would first ask if it's possible to add your own flash media player hosted on your site?

If not I would like it to be.

No currently you only can post embed tags. This is something I will be looking into though. But can't promise the ability the upload as a feature until I've looked more closely into it.

No currently you only can post embed tags. This is something I will be looking into though. But can't promise the ability the upload as a feature until I've looked more closely into it.

Cool. I'm looking forward to this. :)

Suggestions: Video System

I am currently searching for a video system for my IPB3 forums and I came across this site. I must say that the early version of this system is fantastic, but it somewhat lacks in a number of areas.

Positive:

* The way that videos are submitted onto the system is great and easy to perform.

* Individual videos are displayed well once clicked on from the appropriate category (Example).

Improvements:

* Display of videos in the category list as well as the category itself (Example). The actual categories should contain a snap-shot or an image that represents the specific area.

* Videos listed in each category look plain and unattractive. Each submission should be listed in some sequence for each category (i.e. most views, newest videos, etc). Also instead a plain text there should be a thumbnail on the left hand side with the video title and description (perhaps even some tags that represent the video). This is far more appealing to the users.

* Currently being viewed/watched module (similar to youtube, its a great way to engage users while browsing. This module can be programed either on forum index or the video system index (or both).

Hopefully these are taken onboard seriously because a number of clients and myself are looking for a video system that contains similar elements to many popular video scripts or websites (i.e. Youtube, Clipshare, Vidiscript, etc).

Thanks for your time.

• Management

Thanks for your feedback. Just to address your suggestions:

1. I will consider that, right now I am looking at a portal layout like youtube has for the front page. All this depends on how easy it is to get thumbnails for videos.

2. Add above, I am seriously looking at adding thumbnails. Problems will be with getting thumbnails from multiple video sites.

3. I can almost guarantee this feature will be added. I'll need to check over it first but it should be able to use IPB3's existing functions to achieve this.

Thanks for your feedback. Just to address your suggestions:

1. I will consider that, right now I am looking at a portal layout like youtube has for the front page. All this depends on how easy it is to get thumbnails for videos.

2. Add above, I am seriously looking at adding thumbnails. Problems will be with getting thumbnails from multiple video sites.

3. I can almost guarantee this feature will be added. I'll need to check over it first but it should be able to use IPB3's existing functions to achieve this.

Awesome! I look forward in seeing this wonderful improvements, and no doubt you will have an extra customer :)

• Management

Just finishing up subcategories and per category permissions and topic generation. Will post some screenshots later. What do you guys think about integration with the new IPB3 media tag? Instead of posting raw embed codes users could enter the url to their video. The media bbcodes already has several sites supported and it wouldn't be too hard to include some more to be added when you install the Videos System. This way would also be the most secure way with only accepted urls being allowed and the embed codes being generated by the script itself.

Personally, I'd like Ajax for the Comments, so that if you're watching a movie and want to comment, it doesn't reload the page. Sort of like the shoutbox.

The add New video link I wish was an icon so than it'd be easier. For the Other options, maybe put a drop down icon that says Other options or something?

When making a category, I don't always need a description, so if I don't fill one in, it allows me to create it.

Also, if you go into a category and than hit the add video link, would it be possible for it to automatically select that category?

For example:

I'm in Category A, and I hit New Video. It automatically selects category A for the category the video is in.

And Sub Categories

• Management

Personally, I'd like Ajax for the Comments, so that if you're watching a movie and want to comment, it doesn't reload the page. Sort of like the shoutbox.

The add New video link I wish was an icon so than it'd be easier. For the Other options, maybe put a drop down icon that says Other options or something?

When making a category, I don't always need a description, so if I don't fill one in, it allows me to create it.

Also, if you go into a category and than hit the add video link, would it be possible for it to automatically select that category?

For example:

I'm in Category A, and I hit New Video. It automatically selects category A for the category the video is in.

And Sub Categories

All those suggestions will be added, possible with the exception of ajax comments, would need to research that a bit more before I give a guarantee.

I think if you could make a hook to can see the last 5 videos added/ top 5 videos (by views) / or to can add what videos want in the hook or to be visible in the hooks the latest added movies from a specific category

To can set a size for videos in the hooks, for example my ipb have a fixed size and the hooks have a fixed size of 220px

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Michael

I am also keen for a Video share area on my board. As I am using an exteranal one at the moment which has intergration (permission) troubles.

We use our video area alot on our site and these are some features I would like to put my hand up for.

Some have been said but I would like to say them again so you know what is wanted.

uploading of files

thumbnails of videos

nice front page ie the youtube or portal look like you mentioned

images for catagories (plus title)

group permissions of course

user ability to set permission of their video (option to alow this in admin?)

embed and bb code

hook for latest 5 videos

playlists would be nice

Channels or link in their profile to their videos so their profile becomes like their channel

related videos recent videos in the same window as the video player

rss feed

I think this would make for a very popular mod. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Cheers

Edited by Horseman

Hi!

I'm not sure if this is a feature already, but I don't think it is.

I don't currently use a video system, but I might get it!

Anyway, I was watching a soccer video and came accross a pretty awesome feature which I'd never seen before: "lights off".

Basically, what it does is: at the press of a button, it darkens the background (actually, it goes all black) and you only see the video screen. It's really awesome.

Have a look here:

THIS LINK.

By the way, do you know if the ipb 3 version of the gallery supports external hosting of pictures? because it really is a needed feature, and previous versions didn't support it, so if you had a pretty large gallery, you had to pay for hosting and traffic as well. So the larger it becomes, the more expensive too...

Embedding images is a perfect solution, like this video thing.

Edited by javier

• Management
I don't currently use a video system, but I might get it!

Anyway, I was watching a soccer video and came accross a pretty awesome feature which I'd never seen before: "lights off".

Basically, what it does is: at the press of a button, it darkens the background (actually, it goes all black) and you only see the video screen. It's really awesome.

Have a look here:

THIS LINK.

By the way, do you know if the ipb 3 version of the gallery supports external hosting of pictures? because it really is a needed feature, and previous versions didn't support it, so if you had a pretty large gallery, you had to pay for hosting and traffic as well. So the larger it becomes, the more expensive too...

Embedding images is a perfect solution, like this video thing.

Interesting idea, will try to add it. No not sure, never used the gallery before so not sure of it's features.

• Management

I'm looking at getting a general idea what video sites your members mostly submit to the videos system. If you can list the top 5 video sites used it will help with research into video thumbnails and the possibility of using the media bbcode instead of having to get the whole embed code.