DevFuse Forums

Request: StopForumSpam module

davert

• Management

(PS> It appears there WAS one in the betas but it disappeared shortly before the final release - possibly due to the new IPB spam database.)

Yeah thought that it was already a planned feature, I guess they thought this would be a better way, would definitely give them an edge over vBulletin, forum spam has been a big issue lately. I like the idea but wouldn't be able to start on something for a few months. I would wait and see what the system becomes. IPS might be moving into a direction that provides more incentives to renew your license, might not have to spend just $50 on this one thing.

Lindsey, that's what I was talking about re IPB's own service. I am actually a bit pissed off about that. They HAD stopforumspam integration built into IPB, but then I guess someone looked at all those perpetual and lifetime licenses, and said, "Hey, we need a way to get $50 a year out of them, too!" So stopforumspam disappeared and IPB got its own unique service... that, as Michael said, requires a license.

I did figure out how to get stopforumspam to show up in the listing of people to be validated, but not how to automatically bounce a user who's been tagged to "requires admin validation." That would be very helpful and is a "module opportunity."

I should point to the sad excuse for code I've generated myself, just to let me see who is naughty and who is nice when I do admin approvals:

http://www.stopforumspam.com/forum/t693-Easy-Invisionboard-%28IPB%29-modification

//=========================================================================== 
// Member: validating 
//=========================================================================== 
function member_validating_row( $r="" ) 
{ $IPBHTML = ""; 
//--starthtml-- cp_skin_member.php
// 
$ipzzz = $r['ip_address']; 
$filez = file_get_contents('http://www.stopforumspam.com/api?ip='.$ipzzz); 
$IPBHTML1 .= <<<EOF 
<tr>   <td class='tablerow2'><a href='{$this->ipsclass->vars['board_url']}/index.php?showuser={$r['id']}'><strong>{$r['members_display_name']}</strong></a>{$r['_coppa']} <div class='desctext'>IP: <a href='{$this->ipsclass->base_url}&section=content&act=mtools&code=learnip&ip={$r['ip_address']}'>{$r['ip_address']}</a> EOF; $IPBHTML3 .= <<<EOF {$filez} <a href='http://www.ip-adress.com/ip_tracer/{$r['ip_address']}' target='_blank'>Location</a></div></td>   <td class='tablerow1'>{$r['email']}</td>   <td class='tablerow1'><span style='color:green'>{$r['_where']}</span><br />{$r['_entry']}<div class='desctext'>{$r['_days']} days and {$r['_rhours']} hours ago</div></td>   <td class='tablerow1' align='center'>{$r['posts']}</td>   <td class='tablerow1'>{$r['_joined']}</td>   <td class='tablerow1' align='center'><input type='checkbox' id="mid_{$r['member_id']}" name='mid_{$r['member_id']}' value='1' /></td> </tr> 
EOF;

Edited by davert

Agreed! I have no problem with spending $50 once, or a reasonable recurring fee, but I do NOT want to eliminate my Perpetual licenses for this! (Which seems to be their primary goal, you can't just lease the service, you have to convert your license.)

well, I am really sad at the sorry state of affairs of IPB @ handling this new service offer. They should have had a better policy for the legacy clients like us. We do want to use it, we can even pay for a good service, but asking us to relinquish our rights to our legacy subscriptions is just asking for too much.

Especially since there was NO reason to do it, they even apparently had a module that connect to stopforumspam set up in one of the betas or RCs...! but that's the way it goes with a lot of these companies, they start out nice and providing good service for a fair price, and get greedy. Enterprise customers don't care about price tags - indeed, they want to spend as much as possible - and so prices skyrocket. I've seen it happen way too many times, including one piece of software whose price started out at $150, doubled with every new version, and ended up jumping from $600 to $15,000 ... and setting up a service to compete with their former buyers.

Not saying IPB's going that way but once you're enmeshed in there, with all their services and features, it's hard to get out. To be fair they haven't pulled the usual trick, which is to change the name of the product and claim that perpetual/lifetime licenses are invalid because it's a Whole New Thing. And they are still honoring their old commitments.

I do wish they'd spend more time on optimization and less on ancillary features, and make some attempts not to destroy all skins and modules with each new version. Making it easier to relogo would be nice, too - not everyone can do a simple white-on-blue.

• 4 months later...