DevFuse Forums

Easy way to learn PHP?

spagman

We all know that people have different "learning speeds", what works for one doesnt work for the other.

What is the easiest way to learn PHP/MySQL and most importantly how do you determine where to make changes in IPB ?

I know that it prob takes a few years of getting really familiar with IPB, but what would be the best approach?

(By the way, can you tell that Im getting my feet wet with PHP?...lol )

• Management
We all know that people have different "learning speeds", what works for one doesnt work for the other.

What is the easiest way to learn PHP/MySQL and most importantly how do you determine where to make changes in IPB ?

I know that it prob takes a few years of getting really familiar with IPB, but what would be the best approach?

(By the way, can you tell that Im getting my feet wet with PHP?...lol )

Many people will have different takes on this but seeing as you've already got IPB and undoubtedly will want to modify it in the future. I would start out by learning php/mysql through IPB and examining how it works. The alternative to this argument is to learn php properly you should learn PHP first, but I don't put much faith in that.

I think the easiest way to find where things are in IPB are though installing mod that require file edits, 2 examples the auto welcome tells you how to code after a user registers and the guest message tells you how to add code to every page below the header. Of course in the beginning you'll need to ask people where to find things, but as time progresses you'll have almost like a map in your head of the IPB files and where things go and how to make changes.

Another place I recommend is php.net, although it might seem a little complex when you begin. I would start out in the getting started section here.