DevFuse Forums

Collections & Garage Integration

Michael

• Management

As part of the upgrade to IP.Board 4, I plan on integrating both application into 1 application. Which will most likely be named "Collections" and support an importer for Garage data. I'm looking for feedback or any concerns users of these products have so I can make sure this is included in the release.

Why?

The Collections was originally a fork of the Garage. It was made due to the demand in the Garage but for adding items that were non vehicle specific. Although it was a good idea at the time, the extra time and complications from maintaining 2 separate applications that essentially do the same thing becomes an issue. I want to take the opportunity during the upgrade to IP.Board 4 to make an application that can easily serve both apps

New Installs

A fresh installation of this application will function like the Collection app currently does but post install you'll be able to better control the various language and urls used throughout the application. Right now I envisage a central page that can be used to change the name of the app, reference for items, categories, mods or images and also allow you to change the url of the application as well.

Upgrading IPB 3.x Collections

The upgrade from IPB 3.x will function like normal and you'll notice no difference in the features of the Collections application.

Upgrading IPB 3.x Garage

During the upgrade from IPB 3.x you'll be able to import previous Garage data and the upgrade process will automatically update the various references in the application to suit display of vehicle data. This includes the language and urls of the application. The imported Garage will basically look and feel like the existing Garage.

IPB 3.4.x Versions

Customers of both applications will be merged into 1 product subscription and the previous IPB 3.x versions of both the Garage System and Collections System will be available for download. They will both be offered for download as extra downloads until IPB 3.4 becomes end of life and both applications can be used like normal.

• 2 months later...
  • Management

Will collections feed data be available via IP.Pages?  That would be really vital for my particular site.

I don't have access to IP.Content so wouldn't know for sure. But given the recent improvements in IPB4, I believe it should be able to utilize the Collections app content router to display a list of items. I've also got widgets included for latest items, mods, comments and images.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Management

I'm holding off on updating to v4.0 until you get the Garage hook finished. So any idea how much longer you have on the Garage hook?

It's hard to provide an estimate right now but this is a top priority and I'm putting in a lot of time to get this wrapped up now.

• 2 months later...
  • Management

The Collections app will now be used and allow you to import your Garage data into it.

Upgrading IPB 3.x Garage

During the upgrade from IPB 3.x you'll be able to import previous Garage data and the upgrade process will automatically update the various references in the application to suit display of vehicle data. This includes the language and urls of the application. The imported Garage will basically look and feel like the existing Garage.

• 1 year later...
  • Management

IPB tells me I need the upgrade path. Can you help?

More details on the full upgrade path for the IPB3 Garage app can be found here - http://www.devfuse.com/forums/tutorials/article/166-import-ipboard-3x-garage-system/

If you've got a previous active Garage license, you get access to the IPB4 Collections app for free.

• 1 month later...
  • Management

We want to put on our site IPB 4xx is it worth it?
site iturbu.com

Or is it better to use the older one? We do not want to regret it later.
  I apologize for writing here, I can not create a new topic

IPB 3.4 will be made end of life soon so would recommend IPB4 going forward.

I know that Collection has feature for creating forum thread for new item entries. For example I have mine setup as a Garage and new vehicle will create a new thread in the forum. 

What I would like to see happen is a new thread for modifications. So if someone install a new modification on there vehicle then a thread in the forum is started and conversation of the modification can be discussed. Like I'm getting ready to install +75HP injectors in my diesel engine it would be cool to just add the mod have the thread start and continue the conversation of the new injectors. 

I've asked in the past about this one... (@michael look back in my support request) Adding a maintenance scheduler/logging feature or addon. So like on the Garage side again if you have a vehicle list you can update your mileage and it would automatically notify the user that Vehicle A needs a oil change. Then after the work is done the user can log the oil change, parts, prices, and what labor was done. There would be a log of all maintenance on the vehicle. 

• Management

I believe I still have both requests noted for future versions. Both discussion topics for modifications and also maintenance logging. It's a bit hard to estimate on when a new major release will come though.