DevFuse Forums

Videos System v3 (Major update with several new features)

Michael

• Management

Videos System v3 has been released and is a major update with several new features and design improvements. A full list of the changes and improvements can be found below.

View latest features and screenshots here.

Report any bugs you find here.

Major Changes:

• The portal index has been re-designed and now includes latest comments, top rated and recently updated videos.
  • The category view has been re-designed and now includes a thumbnail or list view mode.
  • Comments have been upgraded to use IPB's own comments class.
  • Mobile skin support has been added for the portal index, category view, video form and view video pages.
  • Support added for IPB's tag class for videos.
  • Media tags have been added for Facebook & Vine media tags. Both of which support automatic thumbnail downloading.
  • Media tags have been added for the JustinTV & TwitchTV channel pages, both include the side chat box and automatic thumbnail downloading.
  • Support added for category or video following.
  • Support added for IP.Contents feed plugin (videos, categories and comments).
  • Support added for IPB's like/reputation class for videos.
  • Search support has been upgraded to include both video and comment search as well as tag search.
  • New quick add video option, enter the media url and category and the system will attempt to get the video title/description automatically. (Not all media urls supported.)
  • New "Post As Video" hook that allows you to extract media urls from a post and post them into the Videos System.
  • Some design improvements added to the global videos hook, including auto scroll and collapse.
  • Extra videos now supports setting own titles and an ajax switcher for changing the video without page load.
  • Featured videos area has been improved to include ajax switcher for changing to other featured videos and the option to show embed code on page.
  • Notification support added for add, edit, approve, unapprove and moderator pending videos
  • Basic video upload support added with flowplayer integration. No transcoding done, video must be compatible with flowplayer.

Other Changes:

• Data hook support added for add, edit videos and comments.
  • Optional setting to restrict duplicate media urls from being posted.
  • Per category rss feed export added for each category.
  • Support added for the furlRedirect plugin.
  • Support added for the Quick Navigation plugin.
  • Discussion topic now uses tags from video if used and a thumbnail quick tag.
  • Cleanup tool added for orphaned and broken thumbnails and uploaded videos.

Hi,

I already have the media tag of

http://(www.)?youtu.be/([\d\w-_]+?)

<iframe id="ytplayer" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://youtube.com/watch?v=$2?version=3" frameborder="0"/></iframe>

Will this clash with yours of

http://(\w+.|)youtu.be/{2}

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://youtube.com/watch?v=$2"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://youtube.com/watch?v=$2" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Either in the videos app or elsewhere in the community?

Mind you, yours might be better than mine - not  100% sure.

-------------------------------------

Also relating to supported media.

I am assuming that users can enter any media tag that we have support for - i.e. that work in the rest of the community, except that the thumbnails will not appear.

However the 'Regex Match' column of the supported media types is just going to be confusing for the average person, who can just about cope with cut and paste! Maybe this should be suppressed or perhaps should on clicking a button for advanced users.

Hopefully the regex would cope with any submitted URL's anyway, so is probably not required.

Thanks.

• Management

Both should work, the thumbnail plugin may not but if you have issues just let me know.

Yes that's correct, the videos system uses the same [media] tag that IPB uses. So any media tag should work. But for the automatic thumbnail download, there is a special "thumbnail" plugin that uses api's or other ways of getting the thumbnail url of a video. Currently Youtube, Vimeo, Facebook, Vine, TwitchTV and JustinTV are supported.

in the group permissions - what does 'Can post embed videos?' mean?

Silly question maybe - but not 100% sure in the context of the system.

Would also be nice to have video upload limits on physical files uploaded as this new part of the system is developed per member group.

Sorry, another question...

How does 'Add as video' work? I have clicked on a post where a youtube video has been posted and this youtube URL is not carried over, nor is any other data for that matter.

• Management

in the group permissions - what does 'Can post embed videos?' mean?

Silly question maybe - but not 100% sure in the context of the system.

Would also be nice to have video upload limits on physical files uploaded as this new part of the system is developed per member group.

Allows raw html to be posted, for example posting the Youtube embed code rather then using the media url to generate the embed code.

Right now the upload is just basic but yeah I plan on shifting upload limits to per member group.

Sorry, another question...

How does 'Add as video' work? I have clicked on a post where a youtube video has been posted and this youtube URL is not carried over, nor is any other data for that matter.

Is the video form still loaded? In the browser url, what's the part after app=videos say?

Thanks.

The initial url is

?app=videos&module=post&section=submit&do=add_quote&pid=1902671&tid=134864

Then it asks me to select a category.

Once I do this, the fields are all blanks in the video submission form, except the category, the URL is then curtailed and so does not have the additional info.

Edited by Ian

May be I am looking at the wrong place, but this setting does not change anything

Sidebar Hook Display Style List StyleFeature Style
What style would you like to display videos in the sidebar hook?

List Style = Videos in listed order.
Feature Style = Ideal for displaying a single video.

Couple language bits are not in lang files...

videos (main page right over categories)

featured is in the file but after that you add videos again not in the file.... two words first one we can translate but not the second word....

• Management

Thanks.

The initial url is

?app=videos&module=post&section=submit&do=add_quote&pid=1902671&tid=134864

Then it asks me to select a category.

Once I do this, the fields are all blanks in the video submission form, except the category, the URL is then curtailed and so does not have the additional info.

This is a confirmed bug, I've added a bug report here: http://www.devfuse.com/forums/tracker/issue-819-add-as-video-issue/

When it will be possible to download from ipb marketplace?

At the end of this week.

May be I am looking at the wrong place, but this setting does not change anything

Sidebar Hook Display Style List StyleFeature Style

What style would you like to display videos in the sidebar hook?

List Style = Videos in listed order.

Feature Style = Ideal for displaying a single video.

Setting since removed, will update to remove it.

Couple language bits are not in lang files...

videos (main page right over categories)

featured is in the file but after that you add videos again not in the file.... two words first one we can translate but not the second word....

I've added a bug report.

that´s ok how can i make it?

the blocks last updates and top rated can delte?

Open skin_videos > portalIndex

Find and Remove:

ipsLayout_withright ipsLayout_bigright

Find and Remove:

<div class='ipsLayout_right'>        
        <div class="ipsSideBlock">
            <h3><a href="{parse url="app=videos&do=list_all&sort_by=last_updated&sort_order=desc" seotitle="false" template="video_list_all" base="public"}" class='right desc'>({$this->lang->words['view_more']})</a> {$this->lang->words['last_updated']}</h3>
            <ul class="ipsList_withminiphoto">
                        <if test="haslastupdated:|:is_array( $lastUpdatedVideos ) && count( $lastUpdatedVideos )">
                    <foreach loop="video_row:$lastUpdatedVideos as $r">
                        <li class='clear'>

<if test="showThumbnail:|:$this->settings['vs_enable_thumbnail']">
                                                  <span class='left' style='margin-right: 5px;'>      
                                                       {parse template="videoThumbnail" group="videos" params="$r, 'small'"}
                                                  </span>
                                             </if>

<a href='{parse url="do=view&id={$r['tid']}" seotitle="{$r['seo_title']}" template="video_view" base="publicWithApp"}'><h4>{IPSText::truncate( $r['title'], $this->settings['vs_name_character_limit'] )}</h4></a>
                            <div class="list_content">

<p class="desc ipsType_smaller">
                                    <if test="videoAuthor:|:$r['member']['member_id']">{IPSMember::makeProfileLink( IPSMember::makeNameFormatted( $r['member']['members_display_name'], $r['member']['member_group_id'] ), $r['member']['member_id'], $r['member']['members_seo_name'] )}<else />{$this->lang->words['guest']}</if>
                                    - {parse date="$r['last_updated']" format="date"}
                                </p>
                            </div>
                        </li>
                    </foreach>
                         <else />
                                <li><i>{$this->lang->words['no_latest_videos']}</i></li>
                         </if>
            </ul>
        </div>

<h3><a href="{parse url="app=videos&do=list_all&sort_by=video_rating&sort_order=desc" seotitle="false" template="video_list_all" base="public"}" class='right desc'>({$this->lang->words['view_more']})</a> {$this->lang->words['top_rated']}</h3>
                         <if test="hastoprated:|:is_array( $topRatedVideos ) && count( $topRatedVideos )">
                    <foreach loop="comment_row:$topRatedVideos as $r">
                        <li class='clear'>

</span>
                                             </if>

<a href='{parse url="do=view&id={$r['tid']}" seotitle="{$r['seo_title']}" template="video_view" base="publicWithApp"}'><h4>{IPSText::truncate( $r['title'], $this->settings['vs_name_character_limit'] )}</h4></a>  <if test="videoRating:|:$r['video_rating'] > 1">{parse template="topic_rating_image" group="forum" params="$r['video_rating']"}</if>

<if test="videoAuthor:|:$r['member']['member_id']">{IPSMember::makeProfileLink( IPSMember::makeNameFormatted( $r['member']['members_display_name'], $r['member']['member_group_id'] ), $r['member']['member_id'], $r['member']['members_seo_name'] )}<else />{$this->lang->words['guest']}</if>
                                    - {parse date="$r['date']" format="date"}
                                </p>
                            </div>
                        </li>
                    </foreach>
                         <else />
                         </if>
            </ul>
         </div>  
    </div>

It does look rather squashed on 1024 x 768 which although mine is expands wider, this is the size that I still work with due to some lower resoloution monitors and people viewing the desktop mode on tablets and smartphones.

This is a confirmed bug, I've added a bug report here: http://www.devfuse.com/forums/tracker/issue-819-add-as-video-issue/

At the end of this week.

Setting since removed, will update to remove it.

I've added a bug report.

Open skin_videos > portalIndex

Find and Remove:

Find and Remove:

<h3><a href="{parse url="app=videos&do=list_all&sort_by=last_updated&sort_order=desc" seotitle="false" template="video_list_all" base="public"}" class='right desc'>({$this->lang->words['view_more']})</a> {$this->lang->words['last_updated']}</h3>
                        <if test="haslastupdated:|:is_array( $lastUpdatedVideos ) && count( $lastUpdatedVideos )">
                    <foreach loop="video_row:$lastUpdatedVideos as $r">
                        <li class='clear'>

</span>
                                             </if>

<a href='{parse url="do=view&id={$r['tid']}" seotitle="{$r['seo_title']}" template="video_view" base="publicWithApp"}'><h4>{IPSText::truncate( $r['title'], $this->settings['vs_name_character_limit'] )}</h4></a>

- {parse date="$r['last_updated']" format="date"}
                                </p>
                            </div>
                        </li>
                    </foreach>
                         <else />
                         </if>
            </ul>
        </div>

<h3><a href="{parse url="app=videos&do=list_all&sort_by=video_rating&sort_order=desc" seotitle="false" template="video_list_all" base="public"}" class='right desc'>({$this->lang->words['view_more']})</a> {$this->lang->words['top_rated']}</h3>
                         <if test="hastoprated:|:is_array( $topRatedVideos ) && count( $topRatedVideos )">
                    <foreach loop="comment_row:$topRatedVideos as $r">
                        <li class='clear'>

</span>
                                             </if>

<a href='{parse url="do=view&id={$r['tid']}" seotitle="{$r['seo_title']}" template="video_view" base="publicWithApp"}'><h4>{IPSText::truncate( $r['title'], $this->settings['vs_name_character_limit'] )}</h4></a>  <if test="videoRating:|:$r['video_rating'] > 1">{parse template="topic_rating_image" group="forum" params="$r['video_rating']"}</if>

- {parse date="$r['date']" format="date"}
                                </p>
                            </div>
                        </li>
                    </foreach>
                         <else />
                         </if>
            </ul>
         </div>  
    </div>

Yes remove:

and to avoid a big confusion when using revisions for upgrade i would just replace:

to

<div class='ipsLayout_right hide'> 
Edited by Chris M.

Hi, I do realize that this is likely a skin issue, thus outside of the scope of the support, but I hope you can give me some guidelines where to look. 

This is what happens on my board when you open the video:

2013-06-05_21-49-33.png

The buttons Add Video and My videos are not active, you can't click on them, just the images related to them are loaded and I can't figure out why. The "view more" link on top of them is working. 

I hope you can at least give me some more specific information that I need to pass to the author of the skin. 

Edited by jair

It does look rather squashed on 1024 x 768 which although mine is expands wider, this is the size that I still work with due to some lower resoloution monitors and people viewing the desktop mode on tablets and smartphones.

The question I have for that is why do you have a screen that small?

The majority of people are now using 15" or higher screens with resolutions of 1366x768 and higher. And for tablets shouldn't it be in mobile view?

Edited by Chris M.

• Management

Hi, I do realize that this is likely a skin issue, thus outside of the scope of the support, but I hope you can give me some guidelines where to look.

This actually might be a bug on my end. See here. If still doesn't work, open a ticket with acp login details and I can take a look.

The majority of people are now using 15" or higher screens with resolutions of 1366x768 and higher. And for tablets shouldn't it be in mobile view?

I would love to design to 1366 or larger, but cannot for now.

My stats for the last month (and I have a fairly busy site) - the top 5 resolutions are....

320 x 480 - 17%

1366 x 768 - 14%

320 x 568 -  9%

768 x 1024 - 9%

1280 x 1024 - 6%

So you can see we actually have more people viewing on tablets and smartphones than at 1366 x 768 and still have almost 10% of our viewers at 1024 x 768 

Now whilst tablet owners (and I am sure several are smartphones) are used to scrolling left to right, I am not sure that I am ready to force the 10% to do that, so like many other sites I design to 1024 x 768

Mobile view in any case is poor when people are used to seeing graphics and may well have a better screen resolution than their desktop.

I personally never like viewing a site on my tablet in mobile view

Oh and I do not have a screen that small - I have a plugin to chrome that allows me to view a site in various resolutions. :)

This actually might be a bug on my end. See here. If still doesn't work, open a ticket with acp login details and I can take a look.

Worked perfectly, thanks!

Chris, I am also on small width fixed resolution (990px). I had to reluctantly disable most of the sidebars in forum, gallery and other mods because of that. The best way to read a text is in a narrow column, not very wide where your eyes are getting tired from moving left to right. Looking at all the big sites (starting with the dreaded facebook, but also cnn.com, etc) all use the same layout - the content is centered in the middle with a lot of empty space on the sides. Thats why I hate the new trend with 16:9 screen format, which is optimized for movies and gaming and not for text reading, but I am getting way off-topic here...