DevFuse Forums

IP.Board Portal development

Michael

• Management

I'm pleased to announce that I'll be taking over development of the IP.Board Portal application. This will include the compatibility upgrade to IPB 3.2.x. An initial release is planned and will be available soon, this will include minor rebranding and a few minor bug fixes if any are found. I'll use this time to more familiarize myself with the code, with the next upgrade likely to be a compatibility upgrade for IP.Board 3.2.x.

Download & Support

The Portal will be added to the IPS Marketplace and initially be only available to download and receive support there. I'll be adding the Portal to this site and a few other major resource sites soon after. I'll also be adding a bug tracker project on this site to manage any bug reports.

Changes (Initial & Future)

Apart from the name being changed to "Portal", there won't likely be any changes to the first release. For future versions, there won't be any major feature additions for a while, I want to focus on bring the Portal in line with IPB 3.1.x improvements and the changes in IPB 3.2.x.

• Management

I'm very intrigued by this. Which portal exactly? Weren't there a few different ones floating around? Do you have a link to the previous version so we can take a look?

The IP.Board Portal that's included with IPB by default.

That's great but this is going to delay all other systems, i guess especially video system!!!!!

I don't believe so. The Portal will continue as a free application, so paid product support for something like the videos system is going to take priority. In terms of new features, the Portal is already a stable product, so I won't have to spend as much time adding new features to it. And in terms of getting the mods upgraded to IPB 3.2.x, one extra product won't make a difference. Once I get the upgrade differences sorted out, it's just a tedious task of going through and finding/replacing changes.

Would be great ,i have some problem adding the news system in portal ,maybe its a nice idea to added a news system block.

I don't believe so. The Portal will continue as a free application, so paid product support for something like the videos system is going to take priority. In terms of new features, the Portal is already a stable product, so I won't have to spend as much time adding new features to it. And in terms of getting the mods upgraded to IPB 3.2.x, one extra product won't make a difference. Once I get the upgrade differences sorted out, it's just a tedious task of going through and finding/replacing changes.

Thank you for clearing that up :)

• Management

The Portal application has been added to the IPS Marketplace and is just awaiting approval. Only changes that were made are minor re-branding and the addition of FURL for the portal page. A demo has been uploaded to this site here.

Any plan to have pagination?

I really need a solution that offer pagination, like a normal wordpress where I can see oldest threads, that the one on the home page.

Also, would be great to have a way to show different portals, for example, have a link to show the portal with the thread of A,B,C sub-forums, and other link of sub-forums C,D,E

If you do this you will be rich :)

Great job!!

I love the portal and will definably keep watch on it, I do have a small question How do I redirect people from the index to the portal or do I need to use mod_rewrite?

Check this out dude: http://community.invisionpower.com/resources/documentation/index.html/_/documentation/administrator-control-panel/portal/manage-portal-r273

• 1 month later...

Glad i found this place. Roughly two weeks ago i purchased ipcontent after the portal end of life announcement. IPB promised they would have a full set of instructions on how to put the functionality of ip.portal for ip.content converts. So far they haven't put anything up at all. There are lots of complaints in the ipcontent section because there isn't even much documentation on how to use ipcontent.

Honestly, my biggest gripe with the portal was the inability to truncate posts. I always felt this hurt sites that have used the portal as a simple news syndication tool because it doesn't give admins control of steering guests towards actual forum content. I would pay money to have the ability to truncate posts.

• Management

Honestly, my biggest gripe with the portal was the inability to truncate posts. I always felt this hurt sites that have used the portal as a simple news syndication tool because it doesn't give admins control of steering guests towards actual forum content. I would pay money to have the ability to truncate posts.

If you don't mind applying a template edit, can probably put together some instructions for this. IPB have their own built in truncate function, I assume you just want to limit the main full topics to # amount of characters?

If you don't mind applying a template edit, can probably put together some instructions for this. IPB have their own built in truncate function, I assume you just want to limit the main full topics to # amount of characters?

Yes, Previously someone actually put up some instructions on how to do this with CSS but it would regularly cut off things like images and youtube videos. If there is another way, i would sure love to give it a shot.

btw, is the latest portal available in the marketplace compatible with 3.14?

A template edit would be great if you could PM me it please?

It may also be an idea to add an option to the standard template, one of the problems with the portal is when someone puts a long post!!

I have a quick question about the portal, something I think worked in 1.3 or something way back, making www.example.org show the portal when the ip.board software is located in www.example.com/forum/, is this still possible, if not, could you make it possible in the future? :)

• Management

A template edit would be great if you could PM me it please?

It may also be an idea to add an option to the standard template, one of the problems with the portal is when someone puts a long post!!

PM Sent. The truncate function doesn't work for everyone but once I do find a good solution, plan on adding it.

I have a quick question about the portal, something I think worked in 1.3 or something way back, making www.example.org show the portal when the ip.board software is located in www.example.com/forum/, is this still possible, if not, could you make it possible in the future? :)

To be honest I haven't checked yet. I believe it's possible with IP.Content so will have a check when I get a chance to see if instructions/files can be included for the Portal.