DevFuse Forums

IPB3 Calendar Topics v2 development

Michael

• Management

This is the development discussion topic for IPB3 Calendar Topics v2. As the Calendar Topics mod has been stable for several months now, this upgrade will focus on introducing new features. If you have any suggestions or feature ideas, please reply here or PM me.

Development suspended for the time being.

• 3 weeks later...

Would be cool If it had like a sign up module were it will have as an example:

Attend this Event [x}

Will not attend this Event [ ]

After that person selects it will also show an automated sign up sheet of attendees.

Dunno If that sorta thing is possible tho.

• 1 month later...

Would be cool If it had like a sign up module were it will have as an example:

Attend this Event [x}

Will not attend this Event [ ]

After that person selects it will also show an automated sign up sheet of attendees.

Dunno If that sorta thing is possible tho.

Yes, some sort of RSVP system would be really cool. I guess that would turn it into an event module.....

Maybe there would be a way to ask the creator if the event is one that people can sign up for? I'm thinking of using this mod as a way of connecting members & haven't gotten as far as using it for that purpose, but can see some possibilities.

Would there be a possibility of allowing an admin to create custom fields that people could fill in? Kind of like the garage module? So for example, as an admin I could create text fields for event title, date, time, location, link to map/directions, contact name, etc etc, then a WYSIWYG editor for details of the event. Not sure if any of that is possible, but it would be a great start.

Tagging of some sort would be nice too.

• 4 weeks later...

A few suggestions:

2. A very simple RSVP would be: When you have created an event in the calendar, it should have a link to the event forum post. So if anyone opens the event in the calendar, they can click RSVP link to join the topic and then post "I'll be coming" if they want to. The text of the link should be customisable, just like the Event Link is in the forum.
  3. Allow the use of a tag (%short_date%) that formats the date as YYYY-MM-DD. We can then use the tag in the event title and sort them alphabetically in the Calendar Forum, so events are always listed in chronological order.
  4. Make a setting in ACP > My Apps that allows you to not delete the forum post when the event is deleted in the calendar. I move old events to a sub-forum called "Past Events" and sometimes it is nice for people to read the comments.

• 2 months later...

I wish I had seen this sooner. :)

Ideally, it would be nice to see the topic be a part of the calendar post itself. Currently, the MOD creates a post which includes a link back to the calendar post. If these two things could be integrated so you could post directly onto the calendar post, that would be great.

Failing that, would it be possible to have the calendar post link back to the associated topic thread that is created? Currently, if you click on the calendar and see an event, you would then need to go sift through the forums to find the related post. If there was any way to better transition between these two, as seamlessly as possible, that would be great.

Also, it would be nice to be able to add times to calendar events, which could be parsed by time zone so people saw the correct time (this would be a modification to the IPB calendar itself, of course). I'm not sure if newer versions of IPB have fixed that yet. The date could also be displayed in a better format. "19-November 10" is just kind of... sad. :(

I'm not really concerned with many feature additions beyond making the calendar posts more useful both at a glance (what time does the event start?) and integrated topic posts (let's discuss the event right on the event! - especially since currently the topic post can copy what the calendar post has on it... but if you need to edit it, you'd need to edit both places).

I posted about this long time ago, but here's to hoping it will get introduced in V2:

Don't make the calendar topics appear the moment you create an event (unless, of course, it's on that very day), or at least make it an option to set a time inside the calendar event when will it show up in a forum (make a drop down window for forum selection).

That's pretty much it! :)

• 1 month later...

I posted about this long time ago, but here's to hoping it will get introduced in V2:

Don't make the calendar topics appear the moment you create an event (unless, of course, it's on that very day), or at least make it an option to set a time inside the calendar event when will it show up in a forum (make a drop down window for forum selection).

That's pretty much it! :)

+ would also be nice to incorporate poll option inside the calendar event which would get activated upon creating a topic inside a forum.

Would come in handy for scheduled vote-type events. :)

• 4 weeks later...