DevFuse Forums

IPB3 Garage System v3.0.0

Michael

• Management

This is the development discussion topic for IPB3 Garage System v3.0.0. This will be a medium sized upgrade with the focus on several of the most requested features and improvements in design and code so it's more intuitive to add vehicles/images/mods etc... Some of the code and design is still IPB2.3 legacy, so this upgrade will bring the garage inline with IPB3's new standards. (Like the recent blog, downloads & gallery upgrades.)

The Garage has already received quite a lot of feature suggestions so the feature list for v3.0 is pretty much all ready but if you have a feature idea, want to reiterate an already suggested idea or post support for a suggested idea please reply below.

I'll be starting development this Monday (25th). And to address something that will probably come up, I can't give any time frame for completion so early on. I'll be updating this topic when I have a finalized list of features. The two features that have been the most requested, linked make/model and highlight image are guaranteed additions.

i've got some things i'd like to see... although most have already been suggusted..

is this what you mean by hilite image?

an image displayed on main garage page and and in listing/search results recently updated menu..

a bit like the side bar hook does..

for teh main tab, is there anyway to get maybe the date and views and other stats

put in a smaller bar top or bottom? bit like posts do in the fourm?

there not really that important and yet take up some room.

image tab be just images rather then the useless data..

on the other hand i'd rather the modification tabs was displayed more like the images are...

replaceing image type with maybe the name and description of mod.. and the other things, with cost and rating and stuff..?

so you get the description and picture in the tab list view instead of having to click each one..

and better integration, apart from the link in the menu it's as if the garage isn't there...

a profile tab, and the option to list your vehicle in your topic profile bar would be awesome...

oh and the ability to associate a garage with a topic, maybe be able to select a forum,

the users have the ability to select from topics they made in this forum to associate..

or have the option to make a topic with the car details being in the op..

which would then maybe display other uses comments in the thread as comments?

and the owner posts displayed as a worklog? on a another tab?

and have a hilite image in the forum list... and a random garage vehicle at the top of the forum view... bit like boostcrusing does with some of it's forums..

I have a couple of feature enhancement requests.

Firstly regarding custom fields, the ability to add custom fields to existing tabs for example "Transmission type" onto the main tab is where I would utilise this, rather than creating a new tab. Others might have further uses for this depending on the vehicle type.

Another one would be an image count on the modification list... As I have the images split for vehicles and modifications, there is no way to know which modifications have images or not unless you click on them. Like this,

picture.png(13)

...Image count next to each modification with images would be nice.

Edited by Bujo

Just another quick one, not sure if this has been suggested before or not.

The Global Box / Sidebar Settings both show the same information, having these be individually set would be nice. So either Newest vehicles, Recently Updated, Random etc and be able to set them individually for each box. Definately need Recently Updated box though on global settings...

Edited by Bujo

Hi Michael,

Just purchased this so I'm still learning it. Looks to be a fantastic mod. Thank you for integrating group permissions into the latest version, it was what pushed me to buying it.

One thing that would be great would be a finer control of group permissions. What I'm going for would be to have a setting per group of how many vehicles they can have. So as an example, basic members would just be able to view the garage, the first paid level would be allowed 3 vehicles, the second would be allowed 5 & the top paid level would be allowed say 8. Would that be possible?

The other thing that would be great would be greater versatility in changing the titles of the fields that exist to make it more easily integrated with a motorcycle, boat or airplane forum. I'm not averse to file or skin edits, but having that ability within the ACP would be fantastic.

A "latest garage image" hook for the sidebar would be fantastic, although I'm sure that's on your list. What would be really great would be a setting to allow us to choose how many of the latest images to show, & maybe a setting to randomize it rather than having the latest images.

Thanks again for a great product!

Edited by hawksfan

• Management

To give everyone a better idea of where I'm at, I'll be replying to this topic when I've added significant new features. Up until now I've just been cleaning up the old code and making it more efficient where I can. But today I've worked on the group permissions.

256v23q.png

• Management

I have a question, when a car get a comment, how the forum members know that there is a new coment about a car??

If the people don't see, they don't read the comment.

Yes they would have to view the comment page to read the latest ones. Do you have any suggestions on how to improve this?

To give everyone a better idea of where I'm at, I'll be replying to this topic when I've added significant new features. Up until now I've just been cleaning up the old code and making it more efficient where I can. But today I've worked on the group permissions.

256v23q.png

Excellent! Any chance of getting an update for 2.0.x so we don't have to wait for 3.0?

Yes they would have to view the comment page to read the latest ones. Do you have any suggestions on how to improve this?

What about a hook? Or a portal block? Or maybe a block on the garage homepage? Latest comments, vehicles with the most comments, etc etc.

• Management

Excellent! Any chance of getting an update for 2.0.x so we don't have to wait for 3.0?

What about a hook? Or a portal block? Or maybe a block on the garage homepage? Latest comments, vehicles with the most comments, etc etc.

All depends on what the take up for IPB2.3 is. The IPB2.3 Garage is one of the most upgraded mods, only a few dozen licenses are still using the IPB2.3 version. It's unlikely to receive major new features.

I was toying with the idea of having the comments on the main vehicle page rather then in it's own tab.

All depends on what the take up for IPB2.3 is. The IPB2.3 Garage is one of the most upgraded mods, only a few dozen licenses are still using the IPB2.3 version. It's unlikely to receive major new features.

I was toying with the idea of having the comments on the main vehicle page rather then in it's own tab.

I'm sorry, I'm using IPB 3.0.5. What I meant was if we could get those features incorporated into the latest version of Garage (meaning that you would release 2.0.3), without having to wait for Garage System 3.0. Sorry for the confusion.

• Management

I'm sorry, I'm using IPB 3.0.5. What I meant was if we could get those features incorporated into the latest version of Garage (meaning that you would release 2.0.3), without having to wait for Garage System 3.0. Sorry for the confusion.

Sorry misunderstood you. Probably not, I'd still need to test the new features and bug fix and it's likely to take the same amount of time in v2.0.3 or v3. I really don't expect the Garage upgrade to take as long as the videos system upgrade. A lot of the new features have already been tested in videos upgrade, it's just a matter of copying and adapting the code into the garage system.

Firstly regarding custom fields, the ability to add custom fields to existing tabs for example "Transmission type" onto the main tab is where I would utilise this, rather than creating a new tab. Others might have further uses for this depending on the vehicle type.

and better integration, apart from the link in the menu it's as if the garage isn't there...

a profile tab, and the option to list your vehicle in your topic profile bar would be awesome...

^^ Both of these.....please!

Edited by hawksfan

One more....(I know, I'm needy :))

Would it be possible to add an option to move the tabs around? If you have a custom tab for, say options, it would be nice to be able to move that over next to the main tab. Does that make sense?

Here's another that we talked about in support Michael.

I don't have a super-clear idea for this, but it would be nice to have more flexibility with regard to images. Right now as it stands (& please correct me if I'm wrong on any of this) it looks like you can either post images within the stock images category (vehicle) or attached as to modifications. I can see situations where you'd have either custom categories that you'd want to place images in or maybe that they don't apply specifically to anything other than the experience that you had in the vehicle (or maybe there was a specific event that you want to highlight). So I think that there are a couple of possible suggestions:

1. Maybe a way to attach images to custom fields, the way that you can with modifications.

2. Maybe an option for a gallery for the whole garage. So you'd have an option to add a vehicle, or add a gallery.

3. Maybe an option for creating another category of images.

Just throwing out some ideas on that.

Also, I know that better integration was something that was mentioned earlier. Elaborating on that just a little, the links within a member's IPB profile & maybe topic profile view would be a great starting point. Going farther, it would be nice if there was a way to pull some of the basic data into IPB profiles & profile topic views. So that way you only have to enter that data once, rather than twice (once in the board's custom fields & once in the Garage). Basic data such as year, make & model I would think would be enough.