DevFuse Forums

Videos System v2 IPB3

Michael

I'm looking at getting a general idea what video sites your members mostly submit to the videos system. If you can list the top 5 video sites used it will help with research into video thumbnails and the possibility of using the media bbcode instead of having to get the whole embed code.

1. YouTube
  2. Megavideo
  3. Veoh
  4. Google Video
  5. Dailymotion
  6. Guba
  7. Tudou
  8. Youku
  9. 56.com

I'm looking at getting a general idea what video sites your members mostly submit to the videos system. If you can list the top 5 video sites used it will help with research into video thumbnails and the possibility of using the media bbcode instead of having to get the whole embed code.

Most sites create a thumbnail for you. Why not let the user have the option of adding a direct link (ie; youtube thumbnail url) or adding it from their own system and resizing to a specified size in the admincp?

I imagine that would be quite easy for someone like you to add. If I knew how to do it myself I would, but I don't :)

Also thumbnails for categories perhaps the latest added video thumbnail is the category iamge (similar to IP.Gallery) and a preview thumb for each video inside the category also.

Someone suggested lightbox videos.... I don't like that idea. I use lightbox and videobox on sites I make, but I don't think it'll work good for this sort of thing. Youtube or any other major video site use it? Enough said :)

As suggested already I think the "video portal" and hooks are a great idea. I can't wait for the next release.

Have you looked at ttmods video modification? May give you some ideas. It works with ffmpeg or mencoder, but it has a portal and all the jazz. I used it with IPB2.3, but it's not updated and may not get upgraded to IPB3.x so I bought this instead. Check it out below anyway.

http://forums.invisionize.com/ttVideo-v100-Youtube-Clone-Component-t133594.html

youtube mainly, but people who own adult sites would also get a lot of videos from, er... you know, the one which sounds a bit like you tube but starts with an x :whistle:

(I might open up an adult site one day, so partly interested. Not sure if the current video system can use this yet)

• Management

Any idea of when this mod/hook will be ready?

I don't have an exact time yet until I'm sure. Like IPB3 it will be "when it's ready". It's a major priority as it's the basis for a lot of the new mods. ;)

Hmm no reply. I won't get my hopes up yet then :)

I don't know what would cause that. I've upgraded all my mods to IPB3. Each one has been updated a few times to include bug fixes from the upgrade and I'm now going through the bigger ones to add new features. This update will be done but it's not going to be rushed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Management

Didn't have much free time today so could only get members profile tab done today. List mode and embed mode as optional setting.

mb00uc.jpg

sfijib.jpg

Good work. Looking forward to the new release. Keep up the good work mate :)

That's a good feature. Looks good. I know I mentioned it before but is it possible to add an option when adding videos to a thumbnail URL or attach one and show this in the lists.... similar to how IP.Gallery does? Latest video for the category, and in category list it shows thumbnail for each video.

Can't wait for the new release.

• Management

Worked on a 'favorite video' feature today, styling not done on the view video page yet but will probably go near the rating and use ajax to add/remove the favorite.

2qtztvp.jpg

Also worked on category view a bit today. The filter bar is similar to the forum filter/sort bar. This also ties in with per category sort by, sort order and results per page settings using the default filter settings for each category. Before people mention thumbnails, I'm still researching this but if included would probably be located near the video title.

205ttmv.jpg

fd8x35.jpg

Also got the add/edit video form done today, it's been updated to reflect IPB3 new form style and has options for media url and paste embed code. Changing the video type dropdown updates the box without page reloads.

Media URL

vew7ev.jpg

Paste Embed Code

fwpv00.jpg

Once most of the basics are done, I should soon have a test board up where the current features can be seen while I add some of the more complex features like video thumbnails.

• Management

Worked on the video view page today. Just an example of what I've got so far, nothing is set in stone, so if you like a layout in a particular mod let me know.

i60506.jpg

I'm trying to make as many features as possible that use ajax, so the video can be watched without reloading the page. So far stuff like video rating, fav video, share video and flag video use ajax. Also the new related, users videos and category video tabs will also use ajax much like the profile view. I know someone suggested comments to be driven by ajax, that's something I probably won't be able to add this round due to a few issues. I've got code saved for future use however.

• Management

That is a huge improvement! I like very much. Any ETA? :)

I'm looking at having a demo/alpha test board up much like IPB3 did in the last week of November. First betas should following a few weeks after that. This is just a target.

I don't want to be a fly in the ointment, but I have had mine installed for quite a few weeks now and the only video contributors seem to be me.

When I was using IPB 2.3, I had a script that fetched youtube videos based on keyword search and categories and received a lot of traffic as it had countless videos. Is it possible to have this option and allow users to "highlight' or choose favorites out of those?

I can forward you the script if you want to see it.

Excellent mod though.. I just can't get my users to participate.

• Management

I don't want to be a fly in the ointment, but I have had mine installed for quite a few weeks now and the only video contributors seem to be me.

When I was using IPB 2.3, I had a script that fetched youtube videos based on keyword search and categories and received a lot of traffic as it had countless videos. Is it possible to have this option and allow users to "highlight' or choose favorites out of those?

I can forward you the script if you want to see it.

Excellent mod though.. I just can't get my users to participate.

It outputs video urls? It should be possible to tie your script in with the new media tag support and post the videos. I'm not sure if I can get it into this version but will take a look.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Management

No updates lately as most of the changes last week were background code improvements. Today I've added:

* Integration with Queued Items hook.

* Integration with Social Bookmarks hook.

* Video comments are complete, per category and per group settings added.