DevFuse Forums

IPB3 Upgrade Policy

Michael

• Management

This policy is now official, thank you to all those who offered feedback and suggestions. One minor change is that the free upgrade grace period will end 1st November 2009. You will receive an email when your product has been updated.

As IPB3 final approaches I wanted to get some feedback from customers on our IPB3 upgrade policy. If you prefer to leave feedback privately, feel free to send me a personal message instead.

The current plan is for the upgrade policy to be progressively changed. So you have the opportunity to decide whether to not to switch to IPB3 or just stick with IPB2.3. This policy is not set in stone and I appreciate any feedback offered. Dates and time frames will be changed if demand for IPB3 is slow. The following steps is how the upgrade policy will progress:

1. Each modification that is upgraded to IPB3 will be added to the Store in a separate IPB3 category. To upgrade your license you'll just need to request this in your client centre, make sure you have an active subscription before doing so. If your license expired, you'll need to renew.

I've done it this way so rather than purchasing the IPB3 version of your mod at full price, you'd just need to renew your IPB2.3 subscription if it's expired at the normal discounted price and request the free update. (Before people start using this loop hole, this free grace period only applies to existing purchases made before 18th August 2009, you won't be able to purchase an IPB 2.3 mod than immediately request a free upgrade to the IPB3 version of that mod.)

3. After the 3 months grace period and as IPB2.3 usage drops, prices will be reduced and new features are not likely to be added as often, but IPB2.3 will still be supported.

Frequently Asked Questions/Comments:

Will IPB3 mod prices increase?

Answer: There will be no prices rises during the grace period.

Will I be able to switch back?

Answer: No, once you take advantage of the free grace period and upgrade your subscription to IPB3, you can't downgrade.

How long before IPB3 version of my mod is released?

Answer: You can keep updated on the status of your mod here. Upgrades are still continuing during the RC's and I'm expecting to have all mods upgraded by the time IPB3 final comes out. Some of the smaller mods will be available very soon.

Will existing data be available in IPB3 mods?

Answer: Yes, mods like the Donation Tracker, Videos System, Garage System etc.. that store data will be available in the IPB3 version of your mod. The new application installer will take into account previous data when installing.

Will new mods contain new features?

Answer: Most likely not, once the compatibility upgrades are out of the way, then new features will be added to mods.

I think it's a good plan. I actually think all my license are expired.. :/ I'll have to remember to renew them before IPB3 is released..

Edited by Cabola

• Management
will 3.0 versions be more expensive? i'm guessing so if you beilve there will be a loop hole?

There will be no prices rises during the grace period. In this recessionary environment, my costs are not going up so I don't see any need for price rises unless significant new features are added. But nothing will be going up within the grace period.

I think it's a good plan. I actually think all my license are expired.. :/ I'll have to remember to renew them before IPB3 is released..

You will still able to renew after IPB3 final and take advantage of the free upgrade. I'm not too worried about missing any deadlines by a few days. I'll also be sure to email all customers once IPB3 final is out.

How quickly will the mods be available after 3.0 is released? For instance i run a music forum and the videos system is important to my board, and can it upgrade my 2.3.x version to use the videos with 3.0?

• Management
How quickly will the mods be available after 3.0 is released? For instance i run a music forum and the videos system is important to my board, and can it upgrade my 2.3.x version to use the videos with 3.0?

You can keep updated on the status of your mod here. Upgrades are still continuing during the RC's and I'm expecting to have all mods upgraded by the time IPB3 final comes out. Some of the smaller mods will be available very soon.

Do you mean upgrade your current videos? Yes as long as you leave your ibf_videos table intact when upgrading to IPB3, the new IPB3 version of the videos system, will use this data. So you don't loose any videos.

There will be no prices rises during the grace period. In this recessionary environment, my costs are not going up so I don't see any need for price rises unless significant new features are added. But nothing will be going up within the grace period.

sounds very reasonable then

If I keep with 2.3, and than decide to upgrade to 3.0 once all the bugs and everything are finished, and it is after the 3 month grace period, do I still have to pay for it? Or is it still in the free upgrade?

• Management
If I keep with 2.3, and than decide to upgrade to 3.0 once all the bugs and everything are finished, and it is after the 3 month grace period, do I still have to pay for it? Or is it still in the free upgrade?

It's a 3 months grace period only, after that you'll need to purchase IPB 3.0 mods like normal.

I think your plan sounds very reasonable.

I just want my Donation Tracker to automatically add monthly subscriptions as well. I hope that it is possible. If you need help testing that portion please let me know.

• Management

Thanks everyone for your feedback and suggestions. This policy is now official. IPB3 RC2 was announced earlier today and after that IPB3 final. The bulk of the mod upgrades will be done between now and IPB3 final. To keep updated on which mods have been upgraded, be sure to follow this topic: http://www.devfuse.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1992