Welcome to DevFuse Forums

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to DevFuse Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of DevFuse Forums by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
Guest Message by DevFuse

(View All Products)Featured Products

• Donations

Help fund your forum with donations, setup goals and track member donations. Offer rewards for members donating.
  • Timeslips

Have your members submit their race times and share with others.
  • Videos

Allows your members to submit their own videos for community viewing. Support is included for all the major video sites.
  • Forms

Build your own forms for your members without coding experience. Support included for pm, email and topics.
  • Collections

Build a community database of items for your members. Full features custom fields included.

Anti PM Spam modifications

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Michael

• Management
  • 3,534 posts
  • IP.Board Version:IPB 3.4.x

Posted 08 April 2009 - 04:04 AM

I wake of recent attacks on many IPB boards including this one using PM as a spamming tool. I've created a few mods that I think will help out with this. Here is a basic summary of each of the modifications, will post more later today.

1. PM Flood Limit - setup per hour/per day limits for personal messages, per group / globally. - IPS has released a patch that makes this mod idea no longer necessary. View IPS patch here.
2. Post required to PM - setup how many posts a member needs before can use the PM system. - Download here

Both may not be able to stop PM spam full stop but will definitely will make it harder for the pm system to be used for spam. Any other ideas of suggestions, please post them here.

Further Discussion:

Delete all PM's from existing spamming member:
DELETE ibf_message_topics.*, ibf_message_text.* FROM ibf_message_topics LEFT JOIN ibf_message_text ON ibf_message_topics.mt_msg_id=ibf_message_text.msg_id WHERE ibf_message_topics.mt_from_id=X

Full Source: https://www.invision...p...icle&id=380

#2 Nightwisher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Music, Web Things, Knowlege

Posted 08 April 2009 - 04:14 AM

Thanks for care IPB users !
I will wait IPB 3.0 fully and if price will ok for my pocket i will continue journey with IPB now i must use smf becouse its free ! But thank you for this greats mods !

#3 Marcus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 09:00 AM

Thanks Michael!

#4 absinth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 01:00 PM

good job Michael!