DevFuse Forums

Garage System v2.0.0

Michael

• Management

Due to the interest and the lack of any major bugs in the initial release of the Garage System, I've decided to go straight ahead and develop v2.0 of the Garage System. A few of the most major features that have been suggested and accepted are.

• Ajax based rating system. - DONE
  • More ajax usability.
  • Custom Fields - DONE
  • Tab system to organize custom fields. (E.G tabs that you would see in My Assistant.) - DONE
  • Lightbox feature for viewing images. - DONE
  • Support for a board wrapper based box (E.G the quick donate for the donation tracker. similar to that style but 5 latest cars images) - DONE

Development has finished, view latest feature list here: http://www.devfuse.com/products/garage-system/

• Management
Question...will we be able to turn off any of the tabs? My Garage is for big rigs, so they don't really use time slips! LOL

Lol, I can imagine.

All tabs will be optional, the timeslip tab will only show if you enable integration with the Timeslip System and the members garage has a linked timeslip. The images, comments and mod tabs will be dependent on whether you have any of these features enabled or not. The only tab that is garreenteed is the Main tab.

In the case of the user not having javascript, all the tabs boxes will just show one after the other in a vertical manner.

Michael,

I appreciate this wont be the case for everyone, however I am guessing most who use the Garage also use the timeslip system... could it be considered for the timeslip to be made as part of the Garage system?

I know your latest upgrade made them link much better, however I think there is a huge potential for the future of the Garage System being like this... the Timeslip being as a tab at the top along with others such as, an insurance module, traders review, parts/modification review module etc

So therefore, Joe Bloggs adds a Ford Focus, insures it with 'Direct Line' ...adds a modification for a new exhaust purchased from 'Motorworld' ... writes a 'review on the motorworld exhaust' and finally uploads his '1/4 mile time' and '0-60 graph'

That would all obviously show on his Garage page... as well as that, it would all filter out to each of the modules...

Click on the Insurance Tab people can see what insurance company is more popular and how much someone is paying,

Click on the Traders Tab, to see which is a reputable company to buy from

Click on the Reviews Tab to see a list of reviews for different products split into categories

Click on the Timeslip Tab to see other members 0-60 times etc

I know I'm talking of some major development here... but think how powerful the system would be... and potentially flexible for not just motor vehicle items.

• Management
Michael,

I appreciate this wont be the case for everyone, however I am guessing most who use the Garage also use the timeslip system... could it be considered for the timeslip to be made as part of the Garage system?

I know your latest upgrade made them link much better, however I think there is a huge potential for the future of the Garage System being like this... the Timeslip being as a tab at the top along with others such as, an insurance module, traders review, parts/modification review module etc

So therefore, Joe Bloggs adds a Ford Focus, insures it with 'Direct Line' ...adds a modification for a new exhaust purchased from 'Motorworld' ... writes a 'review on the motorworld exhaust' and finally uploads his '1/4 mile time' and '0-60 graph'

That would all obviously show on his Garage page... as well as that, it would all filter out to each of the modules...

Click on the Insurance Tab people can see what insurance company is more popular and how much someone is paying,

Click on the Traders Tab, to see which is a reputable company to buy from

Click on the Reviews Tab to see a list of reviews for different products split into categories

Click on the Timeslip Tab to see other members 0-60 times etc

I know I'm talking of some major development here... but think how powerful the system would be... and potentially flexible for not just motor vehicle items.

Thanks for you feedback Jim. Yeah your right, I do get a lot of people purchasing both products with the intent of integrating them. But was kinda hoping for the people who didn't want full blown timeslip system features, they would be able to add a custom tab called Timeslip and on that just add a few time fields like 60" ET.

From how I understand you, your wanting to keep the existing tab and custom field system for per vehicle? But want a global module system, where there a mini system or modules that you can add to the Garage System. Like insurance or reviews and these modules are hard coded to perform specific tasks, like an insurance module would list all the insurance companies in 1 list and order it by rating. Or the reviews module would have categories, category list, review page and then of course add/edit review.

Right now because I don't want to be caught out when IPB 3.0 comes out, my plan is to add to v2.0.0 your idea about the custom tabs and fields per vehicle, add a majority of your and RocketFoot's ideas then release it before IPB 3.0 comes out. v2 of the Garage System won't be able to have your ideas about global modules. But I do want to include them in the next version that comes out after the IPB 3.0. I can't just yet add a Timeslip Module to the system, I've still got a lot of people with Timeslip System licenses only and don't want to unfairly cease the product's support.

Sorry to bore you to death with my long post, but wanted to properly address you ideas. I appreciate you've probably got more knowledge of what car related forums need for there members.

lol sorry to bother you more like!

Thanks very much for the reply and that makes perfect sense to hold off until IPB3.0

I will put something together so to better explain how I imagine the Garage could be developed based on the above, its never easy trying to explain in text :P

Keep up the great work Michael!

Jim

• 2 weeks later...
  • Management
Anywhere near an ETA for this Michael?

i'm currently using the kzoorice version of the fusion scripts mod

but with all these awesome features and the time slip mod

when this gets released there would be no doubt i'd buy it!

I'd say around a few more weeks. Got the basic code in place, now just filling in the blanks. Because the tab and custom field system is so complex, I'm mostly doing bug testing with these new features.

Great! I just bought the time slip system and will be waiting with anticipation for the new garage!

one idea i have would be the ability to associate a garage with a topic

on my forum we have a member plans and project section and it would be great if a member could maybe select a topic they have created in this forum then have the comments tab populated with other peoples reply from the topic, or even just a box at the bottom of each page with a link to their topic?

it's probably to hard to do and i don't know how many other people would find it useful but it's an idea none the less. :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • Management
Will there be a converter for the Database of FusionScript Registry (old Garage Modul) to your Garage System?

That's the plan, no time frame on how long until any converter is completed, but definitely a priority as it would help many people to convert over.

• Management

Ajax rating feature has just been finished. It uses the same plugin as the topic rating. Setting have been added to enable ratings and also an option to disable members changing votes.

Just finishing off the smaller features and bugs, should have 99% complete by the end of this week. Will post more once finished.

• Management

I've just finished the Fusion Registry v3.0.4 to Garage System v2.0.0 converter. It's an automated script, you just need to have both system installed on the same board, upload the gs_converter.php script to the root forum folder and run it. It erases existing Garage System data every conversion and also in case of error during the conversion does not touch the Fusion Registry data.

A few differences in the mods exclude the following tables from being converted.

registry_config - The Garage System stores this in conf_settings, so no real need for this table.

registry_makes and registry_models - The Garage System does not use predetermined list, but rather you just enter your make and model.

registry_rating_defs, registry_rating_entries, registry_rating_reports - The Garage System does not utilize this type of feature.

registry_sessions - The Garage System stores using a components_location file.

Very nice! I hope that the support here at the DevFuse Garage System will be better than the Support at FusionScripts.

Support here is OUTSTANDING! Michael does a great job!

I updated my Garage to 2.0 and everything looks great and is running smooth! Excellent work, Michael!

If anyone wants to check it out...Visit My Garage

I made it available to guests for a limited time!

Edited by RocketFoot